Trying to learn how to use a multimeter in the SF Bay Area..

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Trying to learn how to use a multimeter in the SF Bay Area..

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:23 am

Hey All,

I already posted this in DIY too but haven't caught a lot of fish so Joel I hope it's cool that I post here too...

I'm nearly finished on my very first 7th Circle Audio kit...the API-style preamp. Everything's going great but I'm at the point now where I'm supposed to start using my digital multimeter to check for shorts and then on to initial power-up and fine-tuning which requires even more dimm work.

I own one, but have absolutely no idea how to use it! I've done internet searches and found loads of tutorials, but they all seem to assume one has a basic knowledge of electronic theory and application which I do not have. So I'm lost from the first sentence. I'm really just following instructions and soldering shit to the board...which I am pretty damn good at but only gets me this far...

I live in Petaluma...about 45 minutes north of San Francisco. Are there any DIY-savvy TapeOppers out there in my area that would be interested in a little face-to-face confab time to help me wrap my brain around this?

I'd be happy to buy you many beers or even trade some studio time!

Cheers,
Adam
"All energy flows in accordance with the whims of the great Magnet"
?Raoul Duke
www.greatmagnetrecording.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:09 am

Checking for shorts is easy. Put the MM to the little speaker setting and touch the probes together and make sure you get the beeping noise from the MM. To check on you pre you touch the two points that are suppose to have flow with the probes, one on each point. If the MM beeps that means the connection is good. If it don't you have a short.

What are the other things you need to check? Voltage is just as easy, except you put the selector to Volts, for amperage set to amps, for Ohms you put it to the little greek Omega setting.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Re: Trying to learn how to use a multimeter in the SF Bay Ar

Post by Phiz » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:27 am

Caldo71 wrote: I've done internet searches and found loads of tutorials, but they all seem to assume one has a basic knowledge of electronic theory and application which I do not have. So I'm lost from the first sentence.
Perhaps you shouldn't be looking for assistance on how to use a meter, but instead should be seeking some basic electronics theory. There are a tons of introductory books, websites and community college classes out there. This would probably be time well spent if you plan to do any additional DIY electronics or repair work.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:27 am

Maybe this is the bit of info you are missing:

When you are checking for shorts, you are usually checking that the signal is not accidentally flowing to ground. So touch one probe to ground, or clip it on to the chassis, whatever, and touch the other probe to your power supply or signal path, whatever, if it beeps, you have continuity/short to ground.

Also to measure voltage, you will need to connect one probe (black one) to ground.

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:30 am

drumsound wrote:Checking for shorts is easy. Put the MM to the little speaker setting and touch the probes together and make sure you get the beeping noise from the MM. To check on you pre you touch the two points that are suppose to have flow with the probes, one on each point. If the MM beeps that means the connection is good. If it don't you have a short.

What are the other things you need to check? Voltage is just as easy, except you put the selector to Volts, for amperage set to amps, for Ohms you put it to the little greek Omega setting.
I will call you tonight o mustachio'ed wonder varmint...
?Raoul Duke

greatmagnet
buyin' a studio

Post by greatmagnet » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:44 pm

Thanks guys for all the tips!

Over the weekend I actually unearthed the manual that originally CAME with my specific multimeter, and that turned out to be the "rosetta stone" for me as it was relevant to the specific dial and inputs to that model.

All worked out well and I now have my very first fully-functional hand-built API clone with no issues...it sounds GREAT! The first of many DIY pres to come for me no doubt.

Cheers,
Adam
?Raoul Duke

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:27 pm

Caldo71 wrote:Thanks guys for all the tips!

Over the weekend I actually unearthed the manual that originally CAME with my specific multimeter, and that turned out to be the "rosetta stone" for me as it was relevant to the specific dial and inputs to that model.

All worked out well and I now have my very first fully-functional hand-built API clone with no issues...it sounds GREAT! The first of many DIY pres to come for me no doubt.

Cheers,
Adam
:^: