Plight of The Suburban Band: From Today's Wash Post

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

Plight of The Suburban Band: From Today's Wash Post

Post by comfortstarr » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:56 am

The rock side of me found it amusing, the media consumer side of me wonders if this was truly worthy of the front page of the Washington Post's metro section.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01094.html

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:20 pm

Yeah, the WP has built a sizable body of work of lame local music articles.

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:01 pm

call the wahhhhhhmbulance!

lsn110
steve albini likes it

Post by lsn110 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:47 pm

The funny thing is that my band played in DC this weekend outdoors at night in someone's backyard. We were pretty damn loud and people were shooting off illegal fireworks while we were playing. Cops didn't show up until later and then it was just for the fireworks. Guess we must have been in a "bad" neighborhood. It was fun.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:07 pm

Just another BS Washington Post article. Some friend of a friend of a reporter has a band and gets a write-up about how they are rich enough to pay for a storage space and too lazy to lug their gear to a practice space every week. And not rich enough to buy a house with a basement. I haven't paid to practice in DC in like ten years. You just have to know how to do it.

Todd Wilcox

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:11 pm

Give thanks for understanding lenient neighbors and band members with space to rehearse. One big factor for no police visits is making music that is bearable to the general public. Although some people just can't stand to hear others having a good time, and will call the cops on the drop of a dime.

I have friends who practice and record in a storage space. In their defense we live in Salinas, if you are unfamiliar with the area, we are amidst a huge social repression. They try to control the gang violence by urging people to stay inside and be quiet. Hmmmmm.... That makes sense right?
Don't forget to breath.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:41 am

ugh. looks like its time for some people to move out of their parents' house. or get over their fear of minorities.

seriously, who has sympathy for this? i live in philly, with my bandmates, on a quiet, mostly residential block. we have a work ethic... we've never paid a cent for a rehearsal space. who the hell can afford that? i know my shit, and have drastically reduced the sound transmission to the outside. suck it up, christian metal bands from the suburbs, and put yourselves in a better situation. (hell, pray for guidance.)

on the other hand, i know plenty of NY/Brooklyn bands who are super jealous of our cheap rent, large victorian house with a 14' basement ceiling we rehearse and record in, and van we own.

basically, i'm saying move to Philly. :)

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:30 am

Though said Christain Metal band may or may not live with their mommas, it isn't fair to pass judgment on people with situations that may be different from your own. What does fear of minorities have to do with finding an alternate place to rehearse? Or living with your moms for that matter?

Bottom line if you know your hustle you won't have to pay for rehearsal space.
Don't forget to breath.

trask
takin' a dinner break

Post by trask » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:21 pm

yeah, somehow, I too, find it hard to sympathize with white suburban christians in this day and age...
off somewhere listening.

Z MINOR SOUND
gettin' sounds

Post by Z MINOR SOUND » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:42 pm

Only suburban Christians practice in Storage Units.
Don't forget to breath.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:21 am

yep, no sympathy here.

You just have to hustle a little better, contrary to popular belief, you are not entitled to a record deal.

And the smart kids GET PAID to rehearse, not the other way around...

Just sayin...
Everything louder than everything else.

spankenstein
re-cappin' neve

Post by spankenstein » Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:48 am

In KC there's a storage space that's climate controlled and known for having bands rehearse there. Not just suburban "christian metal bands," bands that have mattered.

There is no news in this article to a musician, but to a regular person this is something that they have likely never seen and never even thought about. Hell to most people I don't think they know there are musicians, just producers and singers.

Maybe people will read this article and pause before calling the cops.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:53 am

Back in college, in East Lansing, we rehearsed and stored our gear in a storage place. They were very cool with us, even to the point of letting us access the space after hours when we'd have a late gig. But most storage places in Chicago say "no bands" right in their ads. Either way I rehearse in basements now, as I did prior to college.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/