Advice for people starting Bands.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Advice for people starting Bands.

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:43 pm

Hi, I know young people who are trying to start bands. Not really my forte (I stumble into projects mostly by dumb luck) so anything you can post, please do and I'll pass it on.

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:48 pm

Make sure if they have any delusions of making money, have them read this timeless classic from Mr. Albini:

http://www.negativland.com/albini.html

WillMorgan
gimme a little kick & snare

keep the volume down.

Post by WillMorgan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:02 pm

Assuming you are talking about a rock band... make sure that they don't play at the volume enjoyed by the guy with the thickest ear hairs in the room.

I spent a decade jamming with people at waaay too loud volumes because our monitoring sucked, or the other guys were deaf, or what not... and i failed to speak up and say it was bugging me, I was too passive aggressive to do anything but to turn up my guitar amp and put earplugs in.

Run of the mill ear plugs suck by the way, after a while you realize you can't play with the same nuance that you can if you can simply turn down enough to hear each other, not hurt each other.

If the people communicate with each other, like for instance "please can't we turn down, this sound level is literally killing my ears", then i think the problem can be worked out, e.g. putting _your_ guitar amp by _your_ ears... or running the guitar over the PA because it sounds fatter that way, etc...

I think a great exercise would be to regularly warm up with acoustics beforehand, playing music with people where you can hear everyone is a real pleasure, that would be great for developing vocal harmonies i bet too which are a lot of fun.

By the way, I blame the drummer. ( thank goodness one in three can play with dynamics and they mostly get smarter with age :-)

Freakmagnet451
gettin' sounds

Re: keep the volume down.

Post by Freakmagnet451 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:26 pm

WillMorgan wrote:
By the way, I blame the drummer. ( thank goodness one in three can play with dynamics and they mostly get smarter with age :-)
Drummers are LOUD, tis true. I blame the entire esthetic of the "Coolness of Loudness". You really have to dig to find a drum kit that is not built to be as loud as possible. I have been trying to put a combo together with a hand drummer but nobody I have spoken to so far wants to give up their drum kit. Did the loud rock thing myself for years, lead guitar and bass. No more, I can still hear my Martin and why it is better than a Samick and I want to stay this way as long as possible. Really, every band I have ever been in that was any good started out as friends hanging out together. You gotta do it because it is fun and stay in school!!
"There is never enough time to be in a hurry"

xonlocust
tinnitus

Post by xonlocust » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 pm

people skills (and being someone that people want to hang out with) are every bit as important as your playing ability. being in a band is like having 4 girlfriends at once. be friends first, bandmates second.

don't get a big head. if you keep at it long enough you'll do both totally amazing and totally shitty things. when you're eating shit remember good times will come and when the good times are there remember where you came from and that it's a cycle.

if they're young kids willmorgan's advice probably won't be too applicable. playing loud's part of the game. (stupid sure, but part of the game).

have fun. you got into it to have fun. if you're not having fun - stop doing it.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:04 am

No girlfriends. No drugs. Play everywhere. Don't ever turn 20. Be a band for more than 2 weeks before releasing your 'album'. Peavey over Behringer.

One problem I see is bands form sides; bass player and guitarist vs. singer and drummer, etc...don't develop little cliques and make fun of the other guys for stupid shit like how someone pronounces a word or let's their ass hang out of their britches.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

orbb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by orbb » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:31 am

Build in a sabattical at some point - maybe after 9 months, maybe a year, maybe after 15 months - where you take an extended period of time off and away from each other. It will keep you from being burned out.

Realize that next to being married, being in a band is the most complicated relationship that you will likely ever be in. Try to understand what the other band member's persepctives are and why they are doing what they are doin. It will save a lot of frustration.

Also, like marriages, realize that not all bands are meant to stay together. When the friction overwhelms the fun, time to move on.

ChrisCo
pushin' record

Post by ChrisCo » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:01 am

"young people" starting a band (AND everyone else as well) should just have fun with it. Things won't/can't happen if everyone hates what they're doing (that's the time that i say "stop")

pretty much what everyone else on here said.
I'm all about a little kick and snare

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:38 am

as much as the dream makes it seem that everybody will be equal and all will be working for the same thing.....

.... that dream is almost never the case in reality.

Have fun.... its not a job, its an adventure!

Danly
takin' a dinner break

Post by Danly » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:51 am

"we're gonna be famous!!"

--- not true

but that's ok. also, other bands are not competition.
Starlab

Knights Who Say Neve
buyin' a studio

Post by Knights Who Say Neve » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:03 pm

"other bands are not competition."

Yes. That was my own nugget of wisdom- "your only competition is with yourself".

Keep 'em coming people!
"What you're saying is, unlike all the other writers, if it was really new, you'd know it was new when you heard it, and you'd love it. <b>That's a hell of an assumption</b>". -B. Marsalis

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:57 pm

encourage them to actually listen to what other people in their band are playing. young players tend to get so wrapped up in their own parts that they don't even hear what other people are playing.

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am

Rehearse like hell, don't accept "good enough", and don't move up to the 'next level' until you have the 'level' you are on mastered.

Boogdish
takin' a dinner break

Post by Boogdish » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:44 am

It's been said before, but remember the point is to have fun.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:39 am

Knights Who Say Neve wrote:"other bands are not competition."

Yes. That was my own nugget of wisdom- "your only competition is with yourself".

Keep 'em coming people!
I agree, that's a good bit of wisdom from my youth playin' in bands with names and cover art and such; however...

Sting once said in an interview, that I recall, they decided early on in the career of the Police that they would never open for other bands. They always insisted on being the headliners. That kind of fits with Sting's take no prisoners attitude, eh? I think if I were ever to start a band with actual delusions of grandeur (something I've never even considered, but I admire those who actually go for it like that) I'd approach gigs that way. Screw the opening act gigs and make sure you're at the top of the bill.

EDIT: Although the Police did sort of open for the Grammys this year. That's kind of a special case though.