Black/White Finger or Keeley Compressor for live bass use?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Black/White Finger or Keeley Compressor for live bass use?

Post by Wilkesin » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:45 pm

I may start playing bass in a new rock band and just thought i would fish for opinions as I wont have a chance to try them all out myself before I make a purchase.

There are a couple of thread about the Electro Harmonix compression pedals (Joel digs 'em, others have had reliability problems with 'em), but i couldn't find much about the keeley compressor in comparison.

Keep in mind, I'm thinking mostly live use for a rock band. Sound off!
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

Lukey
gimme a little kick & snare

on the black finger...

Post by Lukey » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:47 am

I've played bass for a variety of bands, both good and crappy, for the last 11 years...
For the last five I had been using an Alesis 3630 with the gate snipped out later on (thanks to tapeop), and had been pretty happy with the bass sound as a result. I played a white finger and thought it was pretty good, and when I saw the black finger for sale at the same price at some online store I thought, "why not?"

Long story short... sometimes it's a teensy bit noisy. I like having a volume pedal after it. The one time I used a white finger I didn't experience it. I've retubed it once after heavy everyday use for about a year, and really hate playing without it. I haven't tried the keeley comp, but I've found the black finger to have gobs of character and to be way more flexible than I even might want it to be. I also use it as a guitar overdrive and rather like the sound of it. Don't know if the white finger works for that.

by the by, if you're playing slap or something really contemporary sounding, it might not be up your alley. I would love to use this thing in a nugget-era throwback band.

Wilkesin
steve albini likes it

Post by Wilkesin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:01 pm

Thanks for the info. The black finger is looking like a good choice, especially since it is a bit cheaper than a Keely compressor...
Slider wrote:"we figured you'd want to use your drum samples and reamp through your amps anyway, so we didn't bother taking much time to get sounds".

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:28 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Keeley.... ON GUITAR. It's not really voiced for bass IMHO. I would avoid it for bass.

The EBS compressor (can't remember the name) is a better choice. The best I've heard is a DBX 160A in the effects loop, but that's getting a bit complicated and expensive.

Todd Wilcox

mrufino1
pushin' record

Post by mrufino1 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:35 pm

No disrespect meant, but why do you need a compressor in your live rig? I find that for live work simple is best. I have been thinking about a compressor lately, but I still keep coming to the conclusion that for live use, the less between my bass and the audience the better. Many times I don't even use an amp anymore, just a DI. I think on occasion our soundman has put a little compression on my bass but I hate it when he does- I feel like I am playing into a wet towel. Actually, come to think of it, I hate playing into a compressor period, in the studio or otherwise. A little bit when I mix sometimes, but I like the bass to react to what I am trying to do. However, as always, different strokes for different folks, and in the end if your sound is good, then it is.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:41 pm

The Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter won best compressor in Guitar Player magazine in the guitar/bass catagory. Their pedals are hand made and I've not come across many bad reviews. The pedal is a bit complex they say, but if you've used a studio compressor it would be a snap and you'll probably appreciate the additional controls.