soundcraft ghost info and pricing...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

dain ryan
studio intern

soundcraft ghost info and pricing...

Post by dain ryan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:59 am

hey guys i inherited a 32 channel ghost and bought a new power supply for it, but i've got a small space and am not sure if i have the room for it. its got one channel out on it. is it worth fixing the dead channel and then selling it or is it not even worth fixing? how much are they worth without the meter bridge and mutes and such?

i mix in the box with nuendo, should i force myself to use it? is it going to be a significant step up in quality? i realize the inthebox arguments have raged for centuries and the ghost is not exactly highly regarded, but i'm just looking for opinions. i'm not sure if i'm willing to give up the space for something that is of questionable value...

thanks in advance!
d.

lanxe
gettin' sounds

Post by lanxe » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:23 am

i love my 32ch ghost........i think it is worth something.

do you need the space or do you just feel that the ghost is not good enough?

if its a space thing, sell it.

dain ryan
studio intern

Post by dain ryan » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:38 am

oops, i guess i'm being a bit harsh. i haven't actually used it all that much, defintely not enough to make any quality judgments. i've got outboard pres that i like so i would usually only use it for a summer. i do commercial jingles and stuff so i need the recall abilities of nuendo, if i was going to use the ghost it would be faders at unity, stereo stems blah blah...strictly for summing.

i meant is it worth selling if all i'm gonna get is 1000 bucks or whatever. if its just worth a grand i'll stick it under the racks and use it to route keyboards to a stereo mix or something. its just so freakin huge!

as an addendum i'm using a motu 828 so i'm limited to 16 channels of mixdown. AND to accomplish THIS i'd have to use the old blackface adat on lightpipe. tell me if THAT is worth it... :roll:

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:37 pm

While I can't prescribe gear's application for another (unless I have 2 more beers), don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. I would disconnect the dead channel and pull it out, and swap it for a working one. It's eq and routing make it very handy, but everyone has their own flow, so see if it fits into yours. It's not defective by design, by any means.

Best,
H

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:38 am

Nope, I'm sorry to say that your ghost is worth nothing and is totally unusable in your situation. What you should do is send it to me, I will help it lead a more useful life.

dain ryan
studio intern

Post by dain ryan » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:30 am

i was waiting for that reply... :lol:

it's funny how much has changed for me. i used to lust after big boards, giant keyboard rigs, racks of junky 50s test equipment... now i want to be able to pack my studio into a laptop bag and record on an airplane. the second someone invents a heavy studio boom stand that fits into my back pocket i'll invest in the company!

i still want the big rooms though!

farview
tinnitus

Post by farview » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:35 am

Just trying to help. (and get spares for my ghost)

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:53 am

if you're not going to use it for anything, then definitely just sell it.. i would personally love to have a ghost, as i'm using a mackie 24/8, and a ghost seems like the next logical step up in the food chain.. but there is no reason to have any gear in your working environment just to sit there and clutter it up.. if you got it free, anything you get for it is profit and i'm sure you can find someone close to you who would love to have it.. you can definitely get more than a grand out of it