BOSS RE-20

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Tue Jul 24, 2007 3:55 pm

cool, i'll wear my trench coat.... just my trench coat.

oh, shit, wrong forum.
j
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:11 pm

toaster3000 wrote:cool, i'll wear my trench coat.... just my trench coat.

oh, shit, wrong forum.
j
ahahahah here ya go buddy!

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=46719

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:18 pm

off-topic lives!
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

spectralgrey
gettin' sounds

Post by spectralgrey » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:41 pm

I messed around with the RE-20 at GC today.

Obviously it's not a perfect emulation of the original, but it is one of the better attempts that I have heard. I'm not going to try and tell you how it sounds, but what I can say is that I had a lot more fun playing around with the RE-20 than I ever had kneeling in front of the producer's desk and tweaking the Echo Farm.

I suggest trying one out for yourself, since there still aren't a lot of good demos of it online. That gearwire one is terrible. Here's a decent one, but it still doesn't really do it justice.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

i am super curious

Post by calaverasgrandes » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:40 pm

In whether it is useful at all. I think they missed the boat on the form factor though. They should have put an expression pedal on it so you could adjust the delay time while you play. A trick that guitarists have been doing for years by hammering on with their fret hand and moving the delay adjuster (knob on space echo, slider on echoplex) to make it pitch tranpose.
On this guy I dont even see a mode for it. Could be wrong is there an EXP pedal in?

About modeled vintage gear in general. It pretty much all sucks. Its all designed around getting the typical sound of that gear. The sound of all the knobs at 5. But I doubt a modeled version of a Mesa Bass 400 would get the difference between 6 and 7 on the tone knobs. Hard to explain but if you've owned one for any period of time you know what I mean.
Most vintage gear sounds most interesting when its being abused, or pushed in one direction a lot. I doubt "models" of my old pedals would oscillate when you plug them into a tube amp with no guitar tieing down the circuit.
And uh, I like those blue effectrons! they are the only musical digital delays I've heard! And they have knobs on front for all the functions. They do the delay sound "getting farther away" like tape ones do. If only they would stop breaking so easily!
The only other digital delay I ever liked was the Digitech PDS(?)2000(?). It had a similar knob and button layout to the effectrons but had a super hard, ballistic, brutal sound to it. when you switched from 256 to 512 ms you were afraid for your speakers! I mean, if its gonna be digital give me effing digital!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:47 pm

This is a slight hijack. But last week, in a moment of madness really, I bid on a Fulltone Tube Tape Delay unit. I was outbid, but then I guess the guy changed his mind, because it's on its way. $800!
Years ago, I had an echoplex. I used to play an electric flute through it. Met Nicky Hopkins and got him to autograph it. Then a roommate took off with it - a pox on him!
Now, twenty years later, I will once again play with one of these things. But man that old one was fun...

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:58 pm

alex matson wrote:This is a slight hijack. But last week, in a moment of madness really, I bid on a Fulltone Tube Tape Delay unit. I was outbid, but then I guess the guy changed his mind, because it's on its way. $800!
Years ago, I had an echoplex. I used to play an electric flute through it. Met Nicky Hopkins and got him to autograph it. Then a roommate took off with it - a pox on him!
Now, twenty years later, I will once again play with one of these things. But man that old one was fun...
Good for you! :D

Let us know how hard that thing rocks or how warbly it repeats, whatever euphemism you want... man I want one of those.

I agree with Calavares Grandes, modeled gear is limited to people's ideas of what the gear "should" do, much less fun, in my opinion.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Re: i am super curious

Post by Harry » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:13 am

On this guy I dont even see a mode for it. Could be wrong is there an EXP pedal in?

A friend of mine picked one up...he really likes it.

He said it has an expression pedal in that can be set for delay time, intensity, or something called twist...which is (I think) a combo of the two.

Harry

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Re: i am super curious

Post by alex matson » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:10 am

I love that mode!

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:00 am

People are discussing two different pedals here. Although they are pretty similar the RE-20 is a brand new Space Echo sound-a-like digital delay. It has seveal modes corresponding to the RE-201 modes. The DD-20 is a new (but around for a year or so) digital delay that has a tape echo mode (among several others like "analog", Twist").

I haven't tried the RE-20 but own a DD-20. I bought it to be able to bring along to rehearsal spaces and gigs. I also own a Roland 555 Space Echo, Binson Echorec 2, EH Memory Man, Effectron, and recently got a Moog Analog Delay.

I don't think the tape echo mode sounds all that much like my tape echo but I do think it sounds really good. It's small, it can run on batteries (6 AAs), runs quiet, and is dependable.

I have been using it for mixes recently but using the "analog" mode for a bit of highend rolloff. I've been using it because you can dial in the precise milliseconds to correspond with the song tempo. Something that is a bit harder to do with my other delays.

It's pretty useful but it's not the same as my other delays.

If you want this thing to drag to rehearsals and gigs it is way cool. But if you really want a Roland RE-201 for studio use why spend 249 bucks on this pedal? At that price you have at least half the cash to buy the real thing.

I like having lots of different flavors to work with. The DD-20 has some good sounds.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:10 pm

linus wrote:People are discussing two different pedals here. Although they are pretty similar the RE-20 is a brand new Space Echo sound-a-like digital delay. It has seveal modes corresponding to the RE-201 modes. The DD-20 is a new (but around for a year or so) digital delay that has a tape echo mode (among several others like "analog", Twist").

I haven't tried the RE-20 but own a DD-20. I bought it to be able to bring along to rehearsal spaces and gigs. I also own a Roland 555 Space Echo, Binson Echorec 2, EH Memory Man, Effectron, and recently got a Moog Analog Delay.

I don't think the tape echo mode sounds all that much like my tape echo but I do think it sounds really good. It's small, it can run on batteries (6 AAs), runs quiet, and is dependable.

I have been using it for mixes recently but using the "analog" mode for a bit of highend rolloff. I've been using it because you can dial in the precise milliseconds to correspond with the song tempo. Something that is a bit harder to do with my other delays.

It's pretty useful but it's not the same as my other delays.

If you want this thing to drag to rehearsals and gigs it is way cool. But if you really want a Roland RE-201 for studio use why spend 249 bucks on this pedal? At that price you have at least half the cash to buy the real thing.

I like having lots of different flavors to work with. The DD-20 has some good sounds.

I think we're all talking about the RE20?

I was told it had an expression pedal in that could be set to twist

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:39 pm

Harry wrote:I was told it had an expression pedal in that could be set to twist
You are correct.
RE-20 Manual wrote:Repeat Rate and Intensity are controlled simultaneously.
In addition, this controls the ECHO VOLUME according to the echo level.
As you further press down on the toe of the expression pedal, the echo sound starts to oscillate, then the oscillation rate increases and the pitch of the oscillation sound rises.