BOSS RE-20

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

BOSS RE-20

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:21 pm

Has anybody tried one out yet? Any opinions?

http://www.roland.com/products/en/RE-20/index.html

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:40 am

i love it on kick, electric guitars, and loud vocals....

whoops, wrong re20.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:41 pm

thethingwiththestuff wrote:i love it on kick, electric guitars, and loud vocals....

whoops, wrong re20.

y'see, i was trying to not go there. :wink:

i SO want the Boss RE-20 to be good, but there's a real chance it will be massively underwhelming.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:06 pm

If you have not learned by now enough to know everything you need to know about that thing just by looking at it, then you should the one to go try one out.

:D

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:00 am

If you have not learned by now enough to know everything you need to know about that thing just by looking at it, then you should the one to go try one out.
hmm..I dont understand. Lemme see what can I "know" by looking at that thing. Well the first thing I see is its a Boss so its probably well built and probably sounds decent?

Look, we know its not gonna be the same thing as a space echo but enough people are interested in a more reliable road worthy pedal version even if it only comes close to the real thing. We all want it to be good...we all wanna know, is it any good? If we could tell that from looking at the thing it wouldnt be one of the most highly anticipated peices of new gear out there. We could've looked at the picture a few months back and forgotten it or pre-ordered.

All that said, I'd have to go try one out for myself anyway..Im not gonna take you guy'ses word. :lol:
me make purty musick!

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:08 am

In my short life thus far, I have drawn the conclusion that Boss gear is extremely well-built, well engineered, always has really great features and sounds pretty much unusable. :)

But they are getting "better" and they certainly know how to do a good clean accurate delay, but what's so cool about the space echo is all of that warbley papery lo-fi-ness, not really Boss's strength these days to capture the groovy lo-fi vibe, but then again ya never know...

But doesn't their massive dual pedal delay they sell these days already have a "tape" mode? That thing actually sounds pretty good, I would be tempted if I hadn't borrowed one from my friend and only played it for about 10 minutes over two months. Not that I didn't like it, I just don't use delay pedals anymore apparently... go figure!

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:40 am

Last edited by ??????? on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:02 am

my feelings arent hurt. I understand what it is people love about their space echos. Perhaps you can understand why people would want a pedal version?
1. cant afford or find real thing
2. real thing is a fickle and fragile beast not reallly suited for heavy touring

so yeah, we want this thing to sound good, we are hopeful, and like you ...skeptical.

Like all modeled sounds, we know its not going to be a perfect replica, it cannot be. It still has potential to be very useful and to sound very good regardless. i just think its a bit unfair to say "look at that thing, its gotta suck" because its COSM or Boss or modeled or not a REAL space echo. I dont think you can dismiss something based on how it looks or who made it.
Like I said, i wanna try one for myself and see. It very well may suck..or it could be awesome.

as for Boss, lotta haters out there. sorry you find their stuff to be useless. Many many people find alot of their stuff quite useful and thats why you consistently see them in studios and on stages.
me make purty musick!

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:15 am

I haven't seen this in stores around my area yet, so I can't say.

I will say that I've checked out their Fender Deluxe modeling pedal and was more impressed with it than I thought I would be, so judging by that, I think the design team working on Boss' digital modeling stuff has come a long way. If the RE-20 turns out to be a refinement of what Line 6 offers in it's DL-4, then I think it could sound really cool.

Here comes my rant:
I love delay. I love tape echo and analog delay for many reasons. I love early digital delays for many reasons as well. As someone who came of age when digital delays were just becoming affordable and you could still get Echoplexes and Space Echoes for cheap, I was able to turn my delay/echo obsession into a collection.

Cut to 2007, I've had two unrelated musicians in the studio who were very talented, very hip, very tone-conscious, but in their early/mid 20s say to me, "that's the first time I've ever played through an Echoplex" when I pulled one of mine off the shelf. One of them had actually never seen one before and was amazed by how it worked.

I think that there is an obvious cult/fetish status with things like old tape echoes and other stuff that seems so archaic in this digital age, and some of it is for good reason. Though many of them don't survive 30 or 40 years, if they've never been maintained, the ones that do usually sound really cool.

However, I think a lot of younger folks who weren't around for the days when everyone was trading in their Space Echoes for the new blue Effectron racks, all they have to go on is what they read. The fact that the Line 6 delays are modeled after things like Echorecs, Space Echoes, Tube and Solid State Echoplexes, etc. is what some people have to go by. "If they modeled it, it must be cool!"

This isn't a knock against anyone, but it's the reality for some people. I've never driven a '56 T-Bird, but they look cool and some people really love them, so it must be something I should want.

Get to the point, Rog. Okay, so I think that people who have memories of the old Space Echoes, and moreso, those who are using them today will never be truly impressed with any digital simulation. It'll never be as good as the real thing. You can argue that unless it sheds simulated oxide and makes a squeaking noise in the background, it'll never be as good as the real thing. To those who are looking for a cool alternative to a Boss DD-3 pedal, I'm sure that the RE-20 will probably be a very cool pedal.

The funny thing is that I can see us all in ten years, lamenting the good old days of the Akai Headrush, complaining that the new plug-in version doesn't sound as good. That'll be around the same time that someone releases the new BlakDat plug-in to give you that vintage 16-bit Blackface ADAT sound. :)

Roger

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:19 am

Last edited by ??????? on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:25 am

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:23 pm

brad347 wrote:(wedding bands don't matter)
It does if it's your wedding.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:32 pm

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:40 pm

brad347 wrote:
ubertar wrote:
brad347 wrote:(wedding bands don't matter)
It does if it's your wedding.
:D

If it's my wedding I doubt I'll care whether the guitarist is using a real space echo or a modeling pedal. Especially what with the PA and all and the non-ideal room making everything hard to hear anyway. Anyway, I actually did get married and hired a guy to play that I trust musically very much. He called whomever he wanted and they played whatever they wanted and it didn't bother me in the least. :D

In any case, WOW it looks like my goofing around has stepped on about a million toes in this thread. Sorry dudes.
My toes are fine. I'm goofing around too.

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:50 pm

yeah i dont think anyone is offended. I am a bit puzzled tho.
You either dont understand or refuse to acknowledge the usefulness of modeling.
me make purty musick!