BOSS RE-20

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:04 pm

Last edited by ??????? on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:07 pm

if you're not with us, you're against us!! :lol:

i look on modelling stuff as a convenience matter.

if i have the real thing, i'll use it.

if not, and i really need to get close to the sound and can't hire the real thing, then it's time to whip out the modellers!

most of the time, very few ppl can tell the difference and even fewer care.

personally, i would MUCH prefer to use the real thing.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:10 pm

I guess i'm old-timey. If I don't have the real-thing, I'll make do with something else real.

Often the result is a surprise that ends up being a happy accident better than anything I could've planned for.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:13 pm

i have no problem at all using modelling gear in a live situation cos the sound is often such that you can't tell the difference even if you know better.

that and you're not gonna be weeping if your modelling pedal bites it or gets stolen.

unlike if, say, your SRE-555 or tweed Bassman or Univibe were to suddenly eat flaming death from a huge line spike in the AC.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:37 pm

brad347 wrote:
ubertar wrote:
brad347 wrote:(wedding bands don't matter)
It does if it's your wedding.
:D

If it's my wedding I doubt I'll care whether the guitarist is using a real space echo or a modeling pedal. Especially what with the PA and all and the non-ideal room making everything hard to hear anyway. Anyway, I actually did get married and hired a guy to play that I trust musically very much. He called whomever he wanted and they played whatever they wanted and it didn't bother me in the least. :D

In any case, WOW it looks like my goofing around has stepped on about a million toes in this thread. Sorry dudes.
I built two amps and brought along my '74 Les Paul and rewired my favorite strat with my favorite pickups for the bands at my wedding, mostly consisting of my friends and family. How satisfying it was! :P I get much more joy out of doing something as well as I can even if it don't matter in the long haul. But to each his own and efficiency is a big consideration.

I too would rather use a real sound that's different rather than a modeled sound. I don't have a drum kit and I could go into the puter and work out a loop and a break and choose from pre-recorded drum samples but man it is so much more interesting to multitrack different drum parts made from bangin' on stuff around the house.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:08 pm

I like Boss stuff. I have their ubiquitous tuner pedal, the Dual Overdrive, and a DD6 (for its very cool HOLD function). Some of their stuff kind of stinks, but most of it sounds pretty good, to my ear. I agree that the DD20 is a really, really nice pedal, but I didn't think the tape emulation was very good...the warble effect was way too pronounced and didn't sound much like the real thing.

But their acumen with modeling in general has definitely improved a lot, and I suspect this pedal will sound pretty good. Also take into consideration how drastically different every Space Echo sounds from every other, after decades of varying care, modifications, and use...no two is alike at this point, whereas every one of this pedal will sound the same for eternity, and is likely to please no one who is seeking a specific sound.

Anyway I'm eager to hear it. I'm not going to buy it though, what with my beautiful SRE-555... :twisted:

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:52 pm

inverseroom wrote:Also take into consideration how drastically different every Space Echo sounds from every other, after decades of varying care, modifications, and use...no two is alike at this point, whereas every one of this pedal will sound the same for eternity, and is likely to please no one who is seeking a specific sound.
I probably should have just said that and been done with it.

But I'll learn one day.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Well, you're paid by the word, whereas Larry has me on salary. So I totally understand.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:57 pm

inverseroom wrote:I'm not going to buy it though, what with my beautiful SRE-555... :twisted:
:mrgreen:

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:14 am

Here's someone who got their hands on one.

http://www.thegearpage.net:80/board/pri ... =15&page=2

Sounds like ass to me.

I'm pretty much in the "fake shit is killing music" camp though

Harry

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:51 am

Harry wrote:Here's someone who got their hands on one.

http://www.thegearpage.net:80/board/pri ... =15&page=2

Sounds like ass to me.

I'm pretty much in the "fake shit is killing music" camp though

Harry
It is hard to see how that sounds like ass. I think it sounds great! Didn't much enjoy what he was playing though.

It is nice to hear that turning the delay time knob with the feedback going actually makes the right sound, instead of some hideous digital aliasing.

Honestly, if you told me that was through a real Space Echo I'd have no reason to doubt you, and I've been playing through a real Space Echo for years. Based on that clip, if I wanted one of these for, say, live stuff, I'd definitely go for it.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:20 am

Dude, I'm with HarryJ

That sounds pretty effing gross to me.

Of course the basic guitar tone is harsh-city too so that doesn't help my perception I'm sure. :D

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:43 am

There is something about the shifting timbre in a real tape delay that genuinely makes you feel like you're hallucinating. While that clip did sound good to me, it didn't have that extra bit of mojo that the real thing does...

But then again it costs half as much and is much more reliable, I'm sure.

???????
resurrected

Post by ??????? » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:14 am

Last edited by ??????? on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:30 am

Because my echoplex is like an old Chevy in that I can open the hood, spot what's wrong within 5 minutes and likely fix it with the replacement of a 5 cent part in about 10 minutes.

A piece of digital modeling gear with bajillions of miniaturized components... if it's toast you might as well throw it in the garbage.

Am I the only one that thinks this way?
No you are not alone!

This is why good old point to point (or turret board) tube amps are SO much more reliable. Sure the components are 40 years old but you can pop that sucker up, desolder and resolder*, and you're good to go. Doing this on a multi-layered PCB amp is a nightmare and you shouldn't even attempt it on some digital thingamabobber.

But it is disconcerting using the "old chevy" analogy because nowadays you can't even do that on most new cars.

All these guitars with modeling pickups played through modeling pedals and modeling amps, recorded with modeled mics and run through modeled outboard gear... yeesh. Heck in a handbasket, I tells ya.

*OK, drain the filter caps first...