valley people racks work with API 500 series modules?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Smitty
tinnitus

valley people racks work with API 500 series modules?

Post by Smitty » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:33 am

i heard someone who was selling one of these mention that they thought the Valley People module racks might be compatible with 500 series modules?

does anybody know for sure whether or not this is true?
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:16 am

There are at least 2 different form factors for the Allison Research/Valley People/Valley Audio gear. The original Allison Research discrete modules are bigger than the newer IC based Valley People/Valley Audio modules. The old ones certainly won't fit in a 500 series rack. I wouldn't expect that the newer Valley stuff would either.

Lotta people selling this stuff have no idea, but think modules are modules. They're not. Even if the Valley stuff fit in a 500 series rack, you'd have to research pinouts on the modules to make sure those match up to the back plane connectors (not too likely) and check that the capabilities/requirements of the power supply equipment were correct. The folks at API have taken great care in trying to certify those few builders that are making 500 series compatible equipment. At $800 a channel for a 512 and the reputation of Automated Processes Inc. you can't blame their caution. Mixin' and matchin' beyond what API condones is a bad idea in my mind. The only place you'll get the "real" answer, the proper condoned answer, is API. They have the list of approved builders on their website.

Putting API modules in anything other than a real API rack, or a custom rack built specifically for API's is a dangerous way to treat some valuable gear...
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:20 am

thanks, man!

this is, by the way, about the fourth thread featuring a question by me directly followed by an answer from you. i'm just going to start PM'ing you directly with this stuff from now on. :D

(kidding).
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:29 am

Wellllllll...

The Allison Research stuff does run on +/-15VDC like API gear does.

You would have to look at the pinouts and figure out how to wire it all up correctly and I would be amazed if an API module could just physically drop into a Valley rack without modifying either the module or the rack but you never know.

I agree that with a 600, 700 or 800 $$ API module, you want to treat that gear with respect and not cross-breed it with some funky old thing, but if you are strapped for resources and a little "techy," I think you could make it work.

...but the Allison stuff does not provide +48VDC for phantom power.

matta
alignin' 24-trk

Re: valley people racks work with API 500 series modules?

Post by matta » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:26 pm

Smitty wrote:i heard someone who was selling one of these mention that they thought the Valley People module racks might be compatible with 500 series modules?

does anybody know for sure whether or not this is true?
Yes, I know for sure it won't work... the IC VP rack modules are called the 800 series. The PCB length is almost double that of the API 500 series and is in no way pin compatible.

VP are back in buisness and you will see a new 800 series rack out hopefully by year end/early next year with 3rd party modules from the likes of Toft, Joe Meek and others.

Cheers

Matt
Matt Allison
Mad Scientist
www.ashtonaudio.com