100 CDR's, in full color jackets

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

100 CDR's, in full color jackets

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:38 am

A couple of albums ago, I had 1000 CD's made for $1300. Last album, I had 300 made for $900. I have sold very, very few, and now have cabinets full of stuff.

HOWEVER, I DO manage to sell downloads, through CDBaby's digital download service (they put your music on more than 50 download sites, including iTunes). SO I've decided, for my next project (probably an EP, sometime next year), I'll just print up 100 cdrs and give most of them away. And make the dough back (or some of it) online. From now on, if I want to create an actual physical artifact worth owning, it will be vinyl.

Discmakers, where I usually go, won't do 100 full color cdr's in jackets (that is, mini LP-type jackets.) They WILL do it in slim jewel cases, which is fine but not ideal.

I can't find anyone who will print 100 color cdr's in jackets. Anybody know who will?

And what do you think of this change in philosophy?

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:03 am

i've been thinking about the same thing. I've got three albums worth of boxes in my basement and I don't want to add many more. On one hand, CD Baby will send your stuff to their digital sources even if you only send them 1 cdr, if I'm not mistaken, so you wouldn't really even have to get 100. At the same time, the physical form is cool and fun to create and some people insist on having it. Maybe cdr packaging and printing has come a long way sing I last saw it, but I don't like them so much as a retail product.

think part of the reason they won't do jackets is setup cost for printing. diskmakers can bundle a lot of orders together to get good rates on press and that's why they 1000 for 1000 is so cheap. if they were to do 100 that would jump their order quantity on press tenfold. that's probably why it's so hard to find people who will do 4 color in low quantity.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:13 am

there was a post going a while back about Kunaki, and the general consensus was that while the discs were CDR's and not true CD's, the print quality was good, and it's definitely priced well.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:34 am

sad iron wrote: think part of the reason they won't do jackets is setup cost for printing. diskmakers can bundle a lot of orders together to get good rates on press and that's why they 1000 for 1000 is so cheap. if they were to do 100 that would jump their order quantity on press tenfold. that's probably why it's so hard to find people who will do 4 color in low quantity.
Well, lots of people will do full color inserts for jewel cases in low quantities...it's just the jackets they won't do.

And you're right, CDBaby doesn't need a lot of discs...

Kunaki looks affordable, but they're just jewel cases too!

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:09 am

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:15 am

vibesof20hz wrote:http://www.raintree.com/
I appreciate these recommendations, but I am honestly looking for 100 color CDRs IN 4-COLOR JACKETS. The reason I'm asking is not that I don't know where to get CD's duped, I want 'em IN JACKETS! Not jewel boxes or clam shells. Raintree doesn't offer them in jackets.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:20 am

Smitty wrote:there was a post going a while back about Kunaki, and the general consensus was that while the discs were CDR's and not true CD's, the print quality was good, and it's definitely priced well.
$1.60/cd. That's pretty good.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:21 am

inverseroom wrote:
vibesof20hz wrote:http://www.raintree.com/
I appreciate these recommendations, but I am honestly looking for 100 color CDRs IN 4-COLOR JACKETS. The reason I'm asking is not that I don't know where to get CD's duped, I want 'em IN JACKETS! Not jewel boxes or clam shells. Raintree doesn't offer them in jackets.
I'm actually in the same boat - does nobody offer small runs in jackets?

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:51 am

Looking at doing something like this myself as well.
Not to be a dick, but I hate jackets. With no label on the spine, the ones in my collection never ever get played.
me make purty musick!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:35 am

You're not being a dick. But nobody will be buying them, hardly. The jacket makes a nice compact package and reminds me of LP's. The small number of people who buy my stuff seem to be mp3 people, so I'm just shifting the product toward them.

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:52 pm

oops sorry!

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:17 pm

what's the deal on the free UPC barcodes on the Kunaki product?

legit?
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:56 pm

For small run jackets - how about Stumptown? -
http://www.stumptownprinters.com/stumptown_music.html
Not the cheapest way to go - but the letter press stuff looks way cool

Best regards,
Steve Berson

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:11 am

Beautiful! If I was a wealthy recluse they would be my printer of choice...

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:49 am

QCA will do 300 proper CDs in jackets for around $600. Its under singles pricing, but I did a 22 minute EP and there was no added charge. There might be an added charge, though, for LP length. They were very nice and I bet you they would do the CDRs in jackets if you asked. You'd end up w/ a bunch of extra jackets, I guess.