Oktava MK-011/ 219/ other budget condensers. Advice needed.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

James B
gimme a little kick & snare

Oktava MK-011/ 219/ other budget condensers. Advice needed.

Post by James B » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:35 pm

I'm recording some tracks for my band at the moment, it's fairly amateur stuff I suppose but I'm hoping to get it sounding as good as we can on our almost non-existent budget.

At the moment my microphone collection consists of a set of cheap Red 5 Audio drum mics (which for the price I really can't fault), a couple of SM57s and a behringer B-1 which is what most of the vocals have been recorded with.

Although I'm not entirely unhappy with the quality of the vocals recorded with this, I can't help feeling like maybe some other microphones more towards the top of my budget would do a better job.

I only have around ?100 to spare, so the various oktava ones out there look real tempting and seem like they'd be a step up from the behringer.
The MK-011 is a hand held condenser, i'm mostly interested in it just because it's something a bit different to what I already have, though the 219 seems to have a pretty solid reputation.

Does anyone have any opinion on these microphones or anything else in a similar price range? Obviously I'd like to be able to afford more expensive mics, but I'm a student and even this much is pushing it really...

Thanks.

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:05 pm

i have a 219 that's been stuffed with dampening material to cut the ringing and it's become my go-to mic for vocals and certain electric guitar sounds.

that said, it's not a be all end all, but it's certainly earning its keep!

don't forget a shockmount.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

Phil Owl
takin' a dinner break

Post by Phil Owl » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:56 pm

All very reasonably priced, great value and infinitely better than anhything by Behringer.

http://www.cadmics.com/

http://www.audiotechnica.com/

http://www.apexelectronics.com/

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:05 pm

AT4050 is on my wish list.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:15 pm

I like the cheap beige MXL condensers. I'd give a model but there's nothing written on the ones I have, and I can'tr find them on their website. It looks like a km84 and has no pad or rolloff on it. It's my favorite microphone so far for live band recording. Once you have balances right, walk around the room, wherever it sounds most kickass I put them in XY config until it sounds good.

The Octava 219 sounds like crap IMO(many will disagree) for any application I've tried them with. I only use it when I have no other mics left for something that is already being picked up by other mics.. but not as a main mic by any means. In live band recording the MXLs will pick up everything but bass guitar unless I crank it up which messes the drums and the kick ill be weak, so I'll put the octava on the kick and raise it just enough for it to be audible. But I'd never use it in a recording for a kick mic, or an instrument mic on its own. It has this nasty boxy sound to it that I don't know how to make work for any sound I have in mind.
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:30 am

The only worthwhile Oktava mic is the MK-012. Good value.

For good, modern sounding dynamic mic, check out the new Electro Voice Cobalt CO4 mics.

These are very pissed off sounding and less than $79 on ebay.

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:27 pm

Does anyone have tips as to how to mod the MK-219? What kind of material do you use? Do you place it below the capsule around the electronics?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:25 am

gutsofgold wrote:Does anyone have tips as to how to mod the MK-219? What kind of material do you use? Do you place it below the capsule around the electronics?
OK, this may be a first on this board. Not only UTFSF, but YOU USED TO OWN ONE (a Joly modded MK219). This is lazy! :shock:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... va+219+mod

BTW, search on all terms oktava 219 mod, and you'll find the relevant threads.

gutsofgold
pushin' record

Post by gutsofgold » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:15 am

I used to own a 219 modded by Michael Joly, yes. But why would that let you assume I know how it is modded or what is needed to do so? I never had a reason to open the mic up and eventually had to sell it to finance a more necessary purchase.

Maybe my post should have been better served as a private message to RefD asking how he modded his. Sorry :roll: .

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:34 am

Call me crazy, but I would like to know something about what I'm getting for my money, especially if I don't do it myself. (I currently own a 319 PE mod mic).

You can go to http://oktavamod.com to see what Joly does (look at the 319 mods, very similar to 219 mods). The home brewed mods are mostly these changes.

swelle
takin' a dinner break

Post by swelle » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:18 pm

The simple mods you can do yourself (which I did):

1) Open it - remove the inside wire mesh.
2) Remove the plastic blast shield from the capsule, replace the center wire (don't touch the capsule!)
3) Put some dampening material in the chassis... I used adhesive-backed surgical foam.

I've not done it yet, but a dremel tool could be used to remove the metal bars that span the capsule. Black paint when you're finished.

What Joly brings is electronic upgrades that I have no knowledge of -- but the fans swear by it.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:38 pm

I LOVE the Audio Technica PRO 37. It's a small diaphram condensor and it sounds really great. They are about $120-$140 new.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:00 pm

gutsofgold wrote:Does anyone have tips as to how to mod the MK-219? What kind of material do you use? Do you place it below the capsule around the electronics?
With a hammer and hit it hard!!

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:19 pm

mxl 2003.

ohhh yes.

greatest. cheap. mic. ever. use it on absolutely everything. sounds great on kick.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:21 pm

have you tried one of your 57's on vocals? sometimes they can be great depending on the singer.. and will still probably sound better than your (vomits in own mouth) behringer.. but if you've tried the 57 and still don't like it and want to buy something cheap, try an ADK LDC.. not the best, by any means, but will be better than what you have..