Summit 2ba-221 tube?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Summit 2ba-221 tube?

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:51 am

I picked up one of these the other day. My local pro audio store has a yearly blow out on loss leaders, discontinued, lines they dont carry anymore etc. Got a significant discount, much below the MAP.
It works as advertised. Got a couple of nice fat bass tracks with a clean direct plus an overdriven amp sound. The tube does a nice job of smoothing out the mids.
BUT being a tube fan, I must know how to get the current tube out. On popping open the chassis I notice the tube is in a shield can, like on old guitar amps and some radio gear. the socket of the tube is then mounted to a PCB daughterboard which mounts perpendicular to the main PCB. There is another PCB daughterboard which interferes with pulling the can off of teh tube. An it is so close that I am not sure if I could get teh tube out of its socket without bending the pins it mounts to.
Anybody know the trick to getting access to the tube?
Anybody else playing with these?
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:58 am

Can you unscrew one of the boards from the chassis?

Don't forget to drain them caps before diggin' around in there....

I would be curious what brand tube is in there if you manage to get it apart.

Hm nevermind, I actually found a pic of the guts online:

http://psk31.cocolog-nifty.com/digitalm ... a221_a.jpg

looks like you can't do that. Are the daughterboards socketed? They look like the might be removable, no?

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:34 am

well see thats the thing, the kind of pins looks like something that I have seen be socketed in some computer gear, but I also have seen some audio gear with the same kind of pins NOT be removable. I gave it a nudge and it doesnt seem to want to go anywhere. Maybe it'll yield with more coercion.But I dont want to mess this guy up. Even if it was only about $300.
Thanks for diggin up the pic BTW.
Did some experimentin with a bluemax (on manual) in the sidechain. nice to compress between the SS input and the tube stage.
The hipass and impedance matching are fun too.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."