chandler germanium vs. chameleon labs 7622...deciding?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pizzaforbreakfast
audio school graduate

chandler germanium vs. chameleon labs 7622...deciding?

Post by pizzaforbreakfast » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:47 pm

thinking of buying either the chandler germanium or the chameleon labs 7622 pre...both come highly recommended and fit into my price range...right now all i have is a groove tube GT66 thru my digi001 in which i plan to do the black lion audio mod very soon. the music im recording is all over the place, so i need something versatile. any insight?

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:02 pm

People gush over the Chandler. I've never used it. I have used the Chameleon Labs, and it's totally solid. Lots of subtle gain-staging variations to be had. Overall it has a thick sound, and is maybe wanting a tad more high end clarity and smoothness compared to, say, a Great River mp2. For the money, it's great.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:35 pm

Here's another half answer: I've used the Germaniums but not the Chameleon. They're actually amazing. They get used over pretty much everything else at studio G (only exceptions are the Sage Electronics pres on kick and snare and a VTL era Manley Tube Pre on vocals when we want them to get a little dirty). Even since we installed 29 channels of vintage Neve pres they Germaniums STILL get used first.

And on top of all that I like them a lot. They sound good.

-marc alan goodman

DGoody
gettin' sounds

Post by DGoody » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:35 pm

Germ..... no question. The Chameleons are lean by comparison.

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:38 pm

Marcocet wrote:They get used over pretty much everything else at studio G (only exceptions are the Sage Electronics pres on kick and snare and a VTL era Manley Tube Pre on vocals when we want them to get a little dirty).
Mark, you made we wonder what else you had pre wise a Studio G. Here's the list:

? 32 Neve 31114 in console
" 2 Neve 34120 70 db class A mic pre (in sidecar)
? 2 Drawmer 1960/Telefunken tube mic pre
? 2 Drawmer 1960 tube mic pre
? 2 Vintech 1272 mic pre
? 2 Brent averill / Neve 1272 mic pre
? 3 Scully 280 discrete mic pre
? 1 Manley VTL Tube reference mic pre
? 4 Chandler Germanium class A mic pre
? 6 SAGE electronics class A mic pre
" 1 Electro Harmonix Prototype 12AY7 Tube Preamp
" 2 ART tube MP

That's some steep competition. What do mics do you find go with the germ and on what instruments do you use it on?

Thanks

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:21 pm

I'm not kidding, it really gets used on almost everything. Most certainly they stand out for guitars and bass, and when tracking a band live they're usually there and then on the room mics. But recently either a U47 or an M49 through a germanium has been the setup for nearly all of our overdubs.

Mind you everyone has different phases with their gear, and eventually we'll probably change over to something else, but there's no doubt that the germanium is a stand out mic pre, especially in its price range.

-marc alan goodman

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:02 pm

I use the sage's on kick and snare even though I own the neve console you guys are taking about...

I use the germaniums on guitars and on bass amp...

I really love the germs... I really love the sage's. I have tried everything I have ever heard of, and I wound up with neve, manley(old VTL manley), Sage, and chandler emerging as my absolute favorite mic pre's.

The sage's, the germs, and the manley are the only pre's I take with me no matter what room I am tracking in....

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:52 pm

I have both !
Germ is strikingly good, it impresses me greatly.
The Chameleon is nice, but it didn't make me go wow as much as far as the pre.
The reason I got it was to improve my snare sound with a little neve crack eq.
Thick and great it does what I expected...it's great but the Germ wins hands down no contest at all.

Masks!
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Masks! » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:41 am

Haven't used the Germ yet but the chameleon labs is really sick - especially for the monkey. Ive been pretty stoked on the EQ especially on snare. As just a pre it's only pretty good, but the fact that it has very usable EQ makes it well worth it in my opinion.

I def want to check out the Sage stuff for sure, and the Germ has been on my "need to get asap" list for a while now.

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:57 pm

Masks! wrote:Haven't used the Germ yet but the chameleon labs is really sick - especially for the monkey. Ive been pretty stoked on the EQ especially on snare. As just a pre it's only pretty good, but the fact that it has very usable EQ makes it well worth it in my opinion.

I def want to check out the Sage stuff for sure, and the Germ has been on my "need to get asap" list for a while now.
...monkey?

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:26 pm

yeah, you don't want to expose your monkey to those chameleon germs.

pizzaforbreakfast
audio school graduate

Post by pizzaforbreakfast » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:11 am

wow...thanks for the insight guys...

klangtone
pushin' record

Post by klangtone » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:58 am

I have both.

The Chameleon is indeed nice for snare.
Both are good for electric guitar, imho.

The Germ is not as colored and crazy as you might think ,in my experience. The feedback nob is more like just another gain nob. I find it hard to hear what it is doing besides rolling off some highs. And is it better because it's louder or because of something else? It frustrates me that way.

Roy
www.rarefiedrecording.com
"No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media,
and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful." -Kurt Vonnegut

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:02 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I use the sage's on kick and snare even though I own the neve console you guys are taking about...

I use the germaniums on guitars and on bass amp...

I really love the germs... I really love the sage's. I have tried everything I have ever heard of, and I wound up with neve, manley(old VTL manley), Sage, and chandler emerging as my absolute favorite mic pre's.

The sage's, the germs, and the manley are the only pre's I take with me no matter what room I am tracking in....
So Joel, since you have the Germaniums and the Vintech 1272's at Studio G, how would you compare the Germanium to the Vintech.... or IS there any comparison?

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:10 am

I haven't found the Germaniums sound much like 1272's. The Vintechs at least kind of do.

I've extensively used the Brent Averill racked 1272s, Vintechs, and the Dan Alexander "made from 1272 parts" pres. None of them sound exactly the same (Brent Averills are my favorite, but the Dan Alexanders seem the best for the money) but they're all pretty drastically different from any Germanium pre's I've tried, of which the Chandler Germanium seem to be in a class of their own.

-marc alan goodman