Smassey Tape Delay Plugin is up!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Paul Fury 161
gettin' sounds

Smassey Tape Delay Plugin is up!

Post by Paul Fury 161 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:59 am

Hi all, Steven Massey's long awaited tape delay plugin is finally available,
check out http://www.masseyplugins.com/. I'm at work, so haven't tried it yet, but if it's as good as his other plugs it's gonna be great!
Take it easy yallz,
Paul
"These mixes are really great. I only want to re-record all the guitars and vocals - can I have the masters please?"

www.myspace.com/extinguishher

Aquaman
gettin' sounds

Post by Aquaman » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:02 am

My God... It's full of stars!

I feel this way about every Massey plug, but the new Tape Delay is unbelievably fantastic. Coupla different tone modes, a "modern / vintage" switch for gritty lo-pass goodness, and nicely analog behaviour when switching values on the fly.

If you haven't checked out the Massey suite of plugs, you are missing out on some of the best-sounding, most affordable deals in audio processing around.

Plus Steven is an all-around great guy who is dedicated to making primo plugs at struggling musician prices. Do yourself a favor and nab a couple - you won't be sorry!

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:51 pm

AU, please, Mr. Massey!

playonbrother
takin' a dinner break

Post by playonbrother » Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:32 pm

i second that!!!!

al

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:56 pm

It really sounds great.
I have had it for quite some time now, and it is really good.

Between this one and echoboy by soundtools, I may just toss all my tape delay units down the subway stairs.

Not really, but the new massey plug sounds great. Was there ever even a doubt?

Nice work, AGAIN, Steve!

touched1
pushin' record

Post by touched1 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:50 pm

I'll be at the bottom of the stairs when you toss those tape echos....

I'll chime in here suggesting AU/VST versions of these. For those of us who are not Pro Tools users. There are a lot of us....

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:56 pm

I used it for the first time today and I LOVE IT! Sounds great and it has a tap tempo feature!

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:36 am

I downloaded the demos last week and liked them all a lot. Didn't know anything about 'em till they were mentioned here. The Limiter is really good and Masseys 'usage notes' are helpful too. You get to load 'em 3 machines which works out perfect for my studio/home setup. Great.

Rodgre
carpal tunnel

Post by Rodgre » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:47 am

For the most part, I adore the tone of this plug. I'm a delay addict, and this is one of the most musical sounding plug-in delays that I've used.

I do have a couple of questions/critiques, if anyone is curious. (I know.... no one asked....)

It seems to be a bit hissy, most noticeable when you put the blend up full. I've overcome it by turning up the input and turning down the output and it's less of an issue. (Seems contradictory that I was just posting on another thread about happily living with the noise in some older guitar pedals, doesn't it?)

While I like what's going on with the "Vintage/Modern" switch, I would love to be able to adjust the modulation rate and depth, as it seems to be a little too fast and "predictable" for my tastes.

Other than those two minor issues, I think the tone is phenomenal. Lots of character, without being too over saturated and grungy. It sits beautifully in a mix.

Now that I think of it, I haven't tried changing the delay time in real time, or doing runaway feedback effects with it, but I'll check that out next. Right now, it's doing a beautiful job as a quarter-note echo on a mix I'm doing now.

Roger

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

okay

Post by jeddypoo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:42 pm

Okay Mr. Massey. Now I've used your plugs in Protools and they ARE fantastic, but at this point not porting them to AU/VST is just insulting. Dude, there are now A LOT OF US- A LOT- who don't use Protools. Many many small plug designers are managing to port their wares to every available format. Come on dude. Seriously.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:44 pm

Yep. VST, please.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:06 am

steven massey is just one guy, not a company or a "small plug-in manufacturer"
It doesn't have anything to do with snubbing non pro tools users; Steve used to work for TL labs and he knows Pro Tools really well (which is why he does what he does)
He can either spend his time writing really cool plug-ins for Pro Tools that everybody loves, or he can go back, learn a bunch of computer stuff and recode his stuff for other formats...which from what i've heard, just isn't that creatively interesting.

Imagine if you had to go back and remix every song you've ever done on some unfamiliar DAW program that you don't really enjoy or have an interest in... Steve does what he does because he likes it, just like the rest of like to record because we like engineering records...

So I wouldn't count on a vst version of massey plug-ins any time soon (and for me, i'd prefer to see him spend his time developing more cool cheap plug-ins for us pro tools users...)

Dave Stanley
pushin' record

Post by Dave Stanley » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:26 am

Dumb question form a non-protools user... isnt there any sort of software package that would allow protools plugs in non-protools DAW's?
What would you call it, a 'wrapper' of some sort?

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

s

Post by jeddypoo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:28 pm

This has been answered a lot, but you can't wrap RTAS to any other format- Digidesign won't allow it- but you CAN wrap AUs and VSTs to RTAS format- there are apps for that.

The only way you could do it is through rewire- for example, if you're running Logic with a digidesign interface/converter, and you have protools open for processing one track with desired RTAS plug, and rewire to Logic.

Logic will do this, don't know about other DAWs. You'd still have to have the digidesign interface, though, otherwise Protools won't run.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

silver sonya
gettin' sounds

Post by silver sonya » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:51 pm

stonewall40 wrote:Dumb question form a non-protools user... isnt there any sort of software package that would allow protools plugs in non-protools DAW's?
What would you call it, a 'wrapper' of some sort?
no, but there is a hardware package. it's called the mbox2 mini. get one. import files to it, process them with rtas plugins you want and export them back into your preferred daw. $250 window into protools and back. done. cheap and easy.

- c