does this device exist?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

does this device exist?

Post by pixeltarian » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:22 pm

I have a pci soundcard, but no headphone option. is there some kind of external box that will send my trs cables through but add a headphone jack with volume control?

in a perfect world I'd be looking for this (you'll be impressed by my photoshop skills like whoe):

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q93/ ... 1185841676

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:48 pm

I've heard of a mysterious device called a "mixer" which may have all the capabilities you seek and more. How to acquire such a device I do not know.

Now without smartassness, I've used a Mackie 1202 for that very purpose.

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:03 pm

BeepBeep wrote:I've heard of a mysterious device called a "mixer" which may have all the capabilities you seek and more. How to acquire such a device I do not know.

Now without smartassness, I've used a Mackie 1202 for that very purpose.
I'm retarded. sort of. I wanted something tiny with only what I need and nothing more. a mixer works too though... perhaps a tapco mix 60.

markitzero
pushin' record

Post by markitzero » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Today was a shitty day. But this thread just made me laugh. Thank you.

Anyway, back to the question.... you may want to look into the Soundcraft Compact 4 or Compact 10 mixers. The pretty much are exactly what you want. How much more tiny can you get?

Somewhat related question: Does anyone learn to mix on a real console before going digital anymore?

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:34 pm

Pixel,

Your attached image actually reminded me of this:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/F ... -main.html

You already have a sound card, but this may fit the bill for you and, depending on your sound card, may be can upgrade.

mrniss
audio school graduate

Post by mrniss » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:37 pm

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:24 am

I am pretty sure there are a number of headphone amps out there that would fit the bill. I'd start at markertek.com Not a great website for searches, but they have all the little doodads you could possibly imagine that real studios use. Dont carry any MRL tapes or interesting mikes anymore.
If that aint got it, check out sweetwater or full compass. or even americanmusical.com

I have been known to use a cassette tape, some tape and ans RCA cable to transform an unused cassette deck into a headphone amp. Just stick a blank tape in there, tape the rec and pause buttons down (so they dont pop up unexpectedly) and cable it up to your output. you can probably pass through from the line outs on the tape deck, but it'll degrade a bit of course.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:56 am

I have seen tiny versions of headphone amp, even for belt mounted use...

Check around with places that sell broadcast doodads...

from rolls to glensound.. they all have "solutions."

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:30 pm

The Safe Sound Audio P1 (See Tape Op #53 for a review) has only a single input channel, but it does have a stereo monitoring section with a headphone volume and a mix control (for zero-latency monitoring of the recorded signal while listening to the DAW). But the real kicker is that it's got a fantastic dynamics section on board, including a compressor that just puts other "affordable" compressors to shame.

Maybe you can find a pre-owned one?

And Safe Sound have a two-input version coming very soon.

TapeOpAndy
TapeOp Family
TapeOp Family

Post by TapeOpAndy » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:39 pm

And if you want the most compact audio interface with a mic preamp and zero-latency headphone monitoring, the CEntrance MicPort Pro is probably it. Given that the CEntrance universal driver allows you to run multiple devices concurrently (even from different manufacturers), you can use multiple MicPort Pros at the same time.

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

oh thanks!

Post by pixeltarian » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:28 pm

man, those are some great gadgets all around!

I think the M-patch 2 looks to be exactly what I pictured. Now all I need is TRS to universal (that XLR and 1/4 input combo thing) cables. I'm sure those won't be deadly hard to find though, right?

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:47 pm

Just do like I did. Get a blank rack panel (or a project box) put a couple neutrik combo connectors on the front and solder it to a TRS.
I have one with 2 combo connectors, 4 XLRfs and 2 plain TRS sockets in my rack. The combos go to my PM180. one of the XLR goes to my summit, the other 3 to the rest of the pm180. The 1/4"s go to a plain old tuner.

oh here check this
guy out
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Post by pixeltarian » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:35 am

calaverasgrandes wrote:Just do like I did. Get a blank rack panel (or a project box) put a couple neutrik combo connectors on the front and solder it to a TRS.
I have one with 2 combo connectors, 4 XLRfs and 2 plain TRS sockets in my rack. The combos go to my PM180. one of the XLR goes to my summit, the other 3 to the rest of the pm180. The 1/4"s go to a plain old tuner.

oh here check this
guy out
I like that idea, but I need a headphone option. wouldn't I have to split the signal and wire it into a volume knob? Just a mute button for the monitors would work because all I do is turn them off when I'm recording track at a time. I would need a volume knob and separate jack for the headphone though...

also, I haven't used a soldering gun since I was like 12 so what's a good and not ultra expensive option? and what kind of solder and gauge works best?

though buying something is easy and probably high quality. I do love making things...