Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A-Barr
tinnitus

Elliot Smith - One Mic?

Post by A-Barr » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:10 am

Howdy all,

I was just watching this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ADiSSNW ... ed&search=

and was amazed to see that he gets such a nice, intimate sound on acoustic and vox with just one mic (U87?) Every time I try to do that, the vox get buried, regardless of performer, and I definitely don't get that intimate detailed vocal sound or even that great of an acoustic sound. Is that just the magic spot for an LDC? Or was this just more of Elliot Smith's magic? You guys 'n gals suppose the mic was in omni mode?

cleantone
takin' a dinner break

Post by cleantone » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:26 am

At a glance I can say, yes that seems to be a U87. I cannot really judge the recording with that heavy data compression on it. I do not think it sounds all that great. You talk about buried vocals. It seems like he is hardly playing the guitar. So I can imagine if he got a bit louder on the guitar that the vox would be masked.

jv
pushin' record

Post by jv » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:56 pm

That's pretty cool, but I wonder if that video is actually of him recording that audio, since it sounds to me like his vocal is more close-miked. But maybe it is the Elliot magic. I think I might try a setup like that to see how it sounds (not that I'm close to him in vocals or guitar).

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:27 pm

jv wrote:That's pretty cool, but I wonder if that video is actually of him recording that audio, since it sounds to me like his vocal is more close-miked. But maybe it is the Elliot magic. I think I might try a setup like that to see how it sounds (not that I'm close to him in vocals or guitar).
well, if it's not, then the whole "recorded live" thing is kind of a farce, eh?

i watched it a couple times and i can't decide. then again, the audio/video wasn't even synching up when i watched it, so it was kinda hard to tell. didn't quite sound live, though.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

OM15.2
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by OM15.2 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:13 pm

well, in the first track, looks like a bathroom, tiled floor and everything. In the second room it is another empty room, hard floor and no room treatment.

So he's got his quite playing style and subtle vocal delivery and these completely live verby rooms, so it's not 'just' the mic he's using

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:09 pm

It sounds about right. He is playing without a pick, so that makes a big difference. BTW, that might not be an 87. It is hard to tell with so many knock offs.

I did a live record of Parthenon Huxley (if you know who he is) live using a single AT4050 for the vocal and acoustic guitar and it sounds great.

It really is all about the performer and how he or she balances themselves. Usually, live acoustic guitar and singer i do two figure 8 mics and that is the best!!
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

helmuth
steve albini likes it

Post by helmuth » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:08 pm

I usually do vocals and acoustic at once with one 421. Just put the headphones on and move it around until it's right. I guess I put it about one foot out aiming in between me and the guitar capturing both kinda off axis.

Soundclip

high five
gettin' sounds

Post by high five » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:39 pm

I think someone asked about that performance before and (TapeOp) Larry said it's a Langevin or Manley. Try searching TapeOpLarry's posts to be certain. I have done a some recording with a cheap mic (MXL990) near that position before I knew anything about mic placement and it came out nicely.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:14 am

I know he was using a Langevin CR3 around the Either/Or timeframe. They look a little like a U87... perhaps it is that?

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Post by oldguitars » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:13 am

yeah, That was my guess. the CR3 looks just like an 87.
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

saibaba
audio school graduate

Post by saibaba » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:09 am

i remember reading that elliott's yamaha acoustic gave out such volume
that you didn't need a pick to play it..so if he's playing softly and singing softly
it might really just be that one mic and room

generichumanperson
alignin' 24-trk

Post by generichumanperson » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:32 pm

what is the big deal about elliot smith? I havent really heard that much, what stuff has only one mic? What is supposed to be his best produced stuff that all you guys love?

saibaba
audio school graduate

Post by saibaba » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:38 pm

i think it's all up to personal preference
but the first elliott smith record i heard was "either/or"
and that pretty much did it for me

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:51 pm

I love ES's stuff not because of the production but because the songwriting just rings true to me. There's not a false note in any of the stuff that was released while he was alive.

Either/Or is a great starting point. Pretty sparse production, just a nice stereo image with a good dose of double tracking.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:18 am

darjama wrote:There's not a false note in any of the stuff that was released while he was alive.
that "Blue Moon" double disc that came out recently is really good too.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com