MCA SP1 mic as reviewed in Tape Op #60

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

eh91311
buyin' a studio

MCA SP1 mic as reviewed in Tape Op #60

Post by eh91311 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:35 pm

The reviewer was thrilled with it. Hard to turn down at $39.99 (www.pssl.com). Anyone have one or have any experience with it?

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:47 pm

I sorta wondered about it myself, did you see the SP1-PACK, you can get 2 of them for $70.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:06 pm

RodC wrote:I sorta wondered about it myself, did you see the SP1-PACK, you can get 2 of them for $70.
Yeah, I saw that one in their catalog. Intriguing, but is it substantially better than the typical MXL V57, 2001 or SP B1 mic? I have those but it would be hard to turn down something decent at that price, either for one or two.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:12 pm

I have two of these that I bought years ago. I use them often for overheads and percussion stuff. They are actually small diaphram mics with a big ring around the element and packed in a LDC side address body. They sound pretty good but I find myself not using them as much as my 603's. I had started to do the Royer Tube Mod to these (didn't get far) and just kind of lost interest.

They were not always so cheap. I think I paid 50 or 60 bucks each back in the day. I was told that these were originally OEM mics for Marrs Music before they went belly-up. I got them from an MXL dealer who got a deal on a bunch of them from MXL (I think) or maybe a jobber. They are absolutely worth 35/each!

Maybe I'll finish the tube mods to them or buy some more and put them on tom toms.

Soooo Cheap!
Good Luck At Any Cost

GravityRobert
ass engineer

Post by GravityRobert » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:55 am

I have 2 of these incoming. If I like what I hear I'll keep these, get another pair and try and get the royer tube mod done to them (I'm not able to do myself so I'll need somebody else to do it for me). Maybe Jim Williams?

IzovAge
audio school graduate

Post by IzovAge » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:39 am

Jim made mention of these mics over at gearslutz in one of the cheapest things you bought type threads. Can't recall for sure but I think he said something about having a mod for them.

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:33 am

I bought one based on the review myself (last one they had)...and then thanks to the link posted at the top of this thread have a second one coming...thanks!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:51 pm

The reviewer of the mic is Terry Setter. He's the guy that designed the new tube mics from Chameleon Labs. Terry knows what he's talking about.

supafuzz
carpal tunnel

terry setter

Post by supafuzz » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:01 am

drumsound wrote:The reviewer of the mic is Terry Setter. He's the guy that designed the new tube mics from Chameleon Labs. Terry knows what he's talking about.

I have one on the way as well.

yes and we who know him call him TS-1 Kenobe

the el harley strikes again
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio

now in glorious HD3

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: terry setter

Post by drumsound » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:31 am

supafuzz wrote:
drumsound wrote:The reviewer of the mic is Terry Setter. He's the guy that designed the new tube mics from Chameleon Labs. Terry knows what he's talking about.

I have one on the way as well.

yes and we who know him call him TS-1 Kenobe

the el harley strikes again
Ba da bum...Thanks you we'll be here all week!

The el Drumsound!

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:51 pm

I've been thinking about picking up a pair for drum overheads. Ideally I'd go for a pair of Oktava MK-012's (perhaps modded) but financial reality keeps rearing its ugly head. Am I just kidding myself here? Or are these things really half-decent? How do they compare to other low-cost drum-friendly mics on the market?
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

mjau
speech impediment

Re: terry setter

Post by mjau » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:00 am

drumsound wrote:The el Drumsound!
Take my drumsound...please!
Oh, thank you folks, thank you. You're too kind. Really, you are.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:05 am

RodC wrote:I sorta wondered about it myself, did you see the SP1-PACK, you can get 2 of them for $70.
Who's selling 2 for $70?

IzovAge
audio school graduate

Post by IzovAge » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:20 am

Pro Sound and Stage Lighting
http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~waG ... atGroup%5D

I just got 2 and while they're not matched by any means they are still very cool. I've only been able to try them on vocals so far and I have to say I was quite surprised. They've got kind of a dirty, almost distortion thing going on that actually didn't sound bad in the application I was working on at the time. I'm really looking forward to trying them as OH's.

For $70, their definitely worth having around.[/url]

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:41 am

IzovAge wrote:Pro Sound and Stage Lighting
http://www.pssl.com/bitemdetail.tpl~waG ... atGroup%5D

I just got 2 and while they're not matched by any means they are still very cool. I've only been able to try them on vocals so far and I have to say I was quite surprised. They've got kind of a dirty, almost distortion thing going on that actually didn't sound bad in the application I was working on at the time. I'm really looking forward to trying them as OH's.

For $70, their definitely worth having around.[/url]

DAMN!! I was looking for that,and couldn't find it. I got two from the same place for $80..... hard to feel ripped off for buying 2 LDCs for 80 bucks though:)
This is like the only store out there that has these. Everyone has the SP2s but the review said not to get those.
They must have made some of those "improvements" to the sp2s??