Looking for some hi-hats and a ride cymbal

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joser111482
gimme a little kick & snare

Looking for some hi-hats and a ride cymbal

Post by joser111482 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:51 pm

I'm looking for some hi-hats.

Medium to high in pitch; very tight "chick" sound with the foot; very tight sound when hi-hat is closed and I'm hitting the edge or the bow; nice wash when open. I'm concerned about the "chick" volume. I don't want some of those "loud rock" hi-hats that I first bought because I was competing with a fucking Ampeg 8 x 10 bass rig. However, my style is developing toward heavy strategic use of my left foot and I don't want things to be lost in the mix.

As far as the ride is concerned, I'm looking for a similar situation in terms of tightness in sound but but I don't want the thing to be loud. I understand that those thick-ass rides (like my trusty 22" Metal Ride) have a distinct ping, but the fucker is just too loud. It's just me and my wife on synth and vocals; I'm not playing loud Oasis rock any more, so I gotta get a handle on the volume.

Does anyone have any experience with the Special Dry Ride from Zildjian?

Fucking Guitar Center won't let you take motherfucking sticks up to the drum department any more (at the Hollywood location)! Can you believe that?

--

I'm noticing my style of playing is drifting toward hip hop with heavy use of space between beats. You would think I'd want something to "fill the space." I honestly used to be afraid of that but I found that when the (actual) ride cymbal I used at my local rehearsal studio (in Hollywood) was too loud and washy, I resorted to using the much more controlled sound of the crash cymbal. (I have no idea what brand of cymbal they use, it just says "Cascade," which is the name of the studio.)

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:21 pm

Check out the Zildjian Quick Beats. I've had a pair for about 10 years now and they've lasted through many different styles of music and studio sessions. Very defined "chick" sound thanks to the flat bottom and the holes drilled in it. They're not extremely loud since they're medium weight too. For a ride, i guess you sorta already have the sound you want but it's too loud? Try using gaffers tape under it. Or maybe just a classic Zildjian ping ride is what you need? As always if you can, experiment with the cymbals at your local drum shop. Tell guitar center you aren't buying cymbals from them if they don't let you bring sticks in. That's just ridiculous!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:24 am

Listen to the A customs. The A Custom Stage and thicker and louder and IMNSHO don't sound as good. You might also consider mixing and matching hats. I used to use my Quick Beat top with an old A from the early sixties as the bottom. That combo made the hats softer than the QB with a lot more pleasing wash compared to getting clangy with the QB bottom.

FNM
takin' a dinner break

Post by FNM » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:59 am

I had a K Special Dry Ride for about 3 years and it was a great ride. It had actually one of the best ping sounds I've ever heard. The only reason I got rid of it was because I joined a three piece metal band and that ride had barely any wash to it. I really really wish I still had it though, the bell sounded awesome. You couldn't crash it no matter what though.

I sold it to get a regular A medium ride, which I don't like as much overall, but works pretty well if you play with heavy sticks and need some wash or crashability.

As for Hi Hats, I remember I really wanted Zildjian K's as well, I love the old K's, but they were too expensive. I ended up getting Sabian HHX Stage hats and I've never looked back. They are super versatile and have lasted for about 6-7 years of pretty hard playing. Everyone who comes in ends up using them and always comments on how awesome they are. About the pitch though, I'm not sure, I would definately say they are medium pitch, so they might not work as well if you want really high pitch hats. Maybe the A Customs would work better for that.

Edit: Shit, I think it might have been the K Custom Dry Ride, got 'special' and 'custom' mixed up. It was real heavy and thick and looked dirty. Sorry.