Mastering Plug-Ins

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

fremitus
pushin' record

Mastering Plug-Ins

Post by fremitus » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:33 am

So I need a new mastering plug. My old (cracked) version of L2 isn't going to fly anymore and it's time to go legit anyway. What are you all using for that ever awful 'loudness maximization' these days?

I will buy Waves if I have to, but they are pretty pricey and if there's something out there that does the same trick for less and elegantly, I'm all for it.

This will be used with Peak 5.2 on a Mac system if that matters to anyone. it's for the the Stereo masters. I do have Maxim with the HD rig of course, but would rather not fly mixes back in just for that.

Thanks.
Colby

vibesof20hz
gettin' sounds

Post by vibesof20hz » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:23 am

Cant beat free software. Well, you can, but it wont be free.

anyway, this got rather good reviews, and I use it from time to time with good results.

http://www.masseyplugins.com/index_v2.html?page=l2007

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:23 am

I'm definitely no Mastering Engineer, but I did try the UAD Precision Limiter on the mixes for a project I did last spring, and it wasn't bad at all. Never more than 1-1.5 dB's of gain reduction, and it was just the ticket.

VelvetoneStudios
takin' a dinner break

Post by VelvetoneStudios » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:03 am

Yeah the Massey stuff is free in Demo mode. Basically you cant bypass and when you close the session the plug goes back to default setting, but the Mastering Limiter is great, a wonderful alternative to L2 , for free or buy for less than $100.00. Same goes for the Tape-Head and 3 band eq plugs. I wont say who....but I know a guy who knows a guy that has a crack of the T-Racks Mastering suite. He tells me that it's prettydarn useful!! Rumor is that the eq and the stereo width controls are a great place to start, but to shy away from the multiband comp lim.
Thanx,
Tony C.
Velvetone Studios
velvetonestudios@gmail.com
myspace.com/velvetonestudios
Tony C. and The Truth
tonycfromthetruth@yahoo.com
myspace.com/tcatt

musicjunky
studio intern

Post by musicjunky » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:26 pm

VelvetoneStudios wrote:Yeah the Massey stuff is free in Demo mode. Basically you cant bypass and when you close the session the plug goes back to default setting, but the Mastering Limiter is great...
to bypass it with it being a demo, you can always make the plugin inactive by ctrl+command clicking (on a mac, not sure of the windows shortcut) on the insert in the mix window. Downside is it will revert the plugin back to it's default setting. but good news is it will also keep the plugin from using cpu cycles, which bypassing doesn't do.

VelvetoneStudios
takin' a dinner break

Post by VelvetoneStudios » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:42 pm

I kinda meant to bypass it to A/B with and without. I've been using them enough lately to where I think it's time to cough up!
Thanx,
Tony C.
Velvetone Studios
velvetonestudios@gmail.com
myspace.com/velvetonestudios
Tony C. and The Truth
tonycfromthetruth@yahoo.com
myspace.com/tcatt

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:56 pm

The Wavearts plugs have a 30 day unrestricted free trial, which seems pretty generous. Worth the money too.

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:15 pm

I use Kjaerhus MPL-1 Pro SE, which is only $118.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:55 pm

I dig the sony oxford limiter, but it's not free. I like it better than, pretty much anything else I've used (L2, UAD, Massey). I'm a bit of a fanboy for them at the moment, so take me with a block of salt.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:50 pm

I've had the best luck with Ozone 3. If you are careful, Ozone has a very professional sound provided you know how to use it and use it properly. It also integrates all the mastering modules you are likely to need. I've also had fun and some limited success with the latest version of T-Racks 24.

christian_roth
audio school graduate

Post by christian_roth » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:45 pm

I am a big fan of Vintage Warmer. It's not as subtle as the Massey stuff, but I prefer it to the L2 or L3.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:04 am

christian_roth wrote:I am a big fan of Vintage Warmer. It's not as subtle as the Massey stuff, but I prefer it to the L2 or L3.
isn't this like comparing a hammer to a screwdriver?

vsr600
re-cappin' neve

Post by vsr600 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:28 am

I really like the Massey L2007 plug. So much so I actually bought it!
Also I just bought the IK Classik reverb collection and have the option of getting one of their other plugin sets for free (they're running a special till the end of August). So I was thinking either T-Racks or the Ampeg bass amp simulator collection. I was actually gonna go for the Ampeg suite after reading some bad reviews of T-Racks, but if you guys think otherwise...

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:44 am

Another vote for Ozone. Even if you don't buy their plugin suite they have an excellent Mastering Guide on their website that can teach you quite a bit.

daved
alignin' 24-trk

Post by daved » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:51 am

T-Racks has never made a product that any pro mastering engineers I know use. As an ME myself, I've not heard anything worthwhile from them either. But to be fair, I've not heard their latest stuff (but my issues have nothing to do with resolution and everything to do with approach and sound so it may not matter).

You're far better off buying L2 than T-Racks. Other respected limiters out there that pros use
Voxengo Elephant
Sonnox suites
UAD plugs mentioned above
and yes, Ozone (those I know who use it don't rely on it's presets though).

-d-
Dave Davis
bands.theallnightparty.com