VO comps or limiters

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kyle
steve albini likes it

VO comps or limiters

Post by Kyle » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:47 am

Hi All

For those of you that do post and voice-over work...what is your favorite compressors or limiters and why?

I've been using the Summit TLA-50 with mixed results and I'm curious what others are using.

thanks
Kyle

kojdogg
buyin' gear

Post by kojdogg » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:32 am

i don't do vo, but i had a safe sound p1 and i dug it. i understand that it was partially geared towards the vo market and the feature set kind of seems to make sense for that use.
________
GLASS PIPES
Last edited by kojdogg on Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:39 am

I'm mixing in the box, so this may not be an answer you want. I tend to use the Bomb Factory BF-3A --> Sony Oxford EQ+Filters --> Focusrite d3 limiter as my VO processing chain.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Kyle
steve albini likes it

Post by Kyle » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:34 pm

thanks for tips.

Hey Joe

Is there a specific reason that you don't use any hardware comp/limiters on the way into the box?
Kyle

kakumei47
steve albini likes it

Post by kakumei47 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:41 pm

I did some voiceover with a bunch of little kids a while ago where i was really glad to have compression on the way in cause it was all over the place dynamically. I don't do much VO, but I liked results with the daking fet being gentle at 2:1 and an 1176 at 4:1 barely working when needed. I love the sound of the 1176 for VO but it can be too grabby easily so its kinda dangerous. The dakings are amazing for me and really safe and easy to set, but I don't have a ton of outboard options either.

I'd love to hear from people who do this more too, especially what you go for on the way in...

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:47 pm

Kyle wrote:thanks for tips.

Hey Joe

Is there a specific reason that you don't use any hardware comp/limiters on the way into the box?
Actually I do. The chain I described was what I usually use for mixdown, on input I'll use the dynamics on my GML mic pre. It's pretty transparent and keeps levels in line a bit. Prior to having the GML I used to go through a Drawmer compressor, which was a little more colored. Usually I set the ratio at 2:1 or 1.5:1, nothing too severe. I know there are good times to commit to lots of processing when going to tape, but I don't think recording VO is neccesarily one of them.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:50 am

Neve 33609. Limiter section after the comp section set at 1.5:1. comp riding with a slow release the whole time ( a2 ) .

During the print, usually a multiband like the waves phase lin multi, and L2. Possibly a massey comp plug as well.

(i use the massey comp all the time when mixing ).