Putting Jensen transformers in cheap xlr splitter box

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

musicjunky
studio intern

Putting Jensen transformers in cheap xlr splitter box

Post by musicjunky » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:13 pm

So, long time reader, but first post.

Anyway, I do a lot of mobile recording, but haven't needed xlr splitters before. Starting to do shows at places with their own sound so I've been looking at some xlr splitters.

Was thinking about the radial 8 channel splitter, but with the jensen transformers they are around 1200 a piece, and I need 2. Alternatives...

I don't have time or patience to make my own from scratch, but been thinking about buying 4 of the 4 channel splitter from audiopile.net (http://www.audiopile.net/products/Elect ... tsheet.asp) and then when I have more money, replacing all of the first iso out's transformers with the jensen ones. Only the first set because those the jensen's are expensive, and I can't ever seeing more than directs and one iso out per channel.

So, would it work?

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:05 am

It should work, I would buy one, open it up and take some measurements. This unit may have small circuit board mounted transformers, and you may end up cutting away some stuff.

Looks like there should be room.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

musicjunky
studio intern

Post by musicjunky » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:43 am

Thanks, that's a alot better than buying all of it only to have it not work.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Originally this post was about a one-channel splitter because you said you "need 2", but you meant you need 16 channels total.

Whirlwind has a 16 channel splitter for only $1000:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... Input.html

Same box with ground lift switch on each channel:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/3 ... Input.html

Actually, now that I looked at the EWI option that actually sounds like a good idea. The big difference would be whether you prefer a stage box or rack mount. I can see cases for both.

Todd Wilcox

musicjunky
studio intern

Post by musicjunky » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:10 pm

I meant 2 of the 8 channel splitters. sorry about that. and That whirlwind looks good too, I will definitely check that out.

Other thought I had, was to just get the EWI boxes, not upgrade the transformers, and just send the iso out to the live sound rig, since they will never be able to tell the difference. Then I control phantom and don't have to worry about spending a lot on jensen transformers.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:46 pm

That's a great idea other than having to worry about the phantom power. I don't see upgrading the transformers as being overly difficult, so you could get the cheap ones, use them as best as you can and if you find that you hate being phantom power guy, start buying Jensen 1:1s.

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:20 pm

some sound guys can get weird about not getting the direct...
Depends on the gig and depends on the sound man.
If they're not providing phantom themselves, then they *will* know the difference... you could of course do direct to yourself for the dynamic mic channels and iso to yourself on the condensers, and *then* they won't know the difference... but that would be kinda sneaky...
but then again... whatever gets the job done.

musicjunky
studio intern

Post by musicjunky » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:27 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't try to be sneaky about it. I would tell them straight up, and if they DID have a problem, we could come up with stuff.

Most of the time, I'm the only one at the gig using condensors. Also, if they are on the iso channel, even if they did have the phantom on, it wouldn't go anywhere, so it's not like it's that big of a deal. Right??

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:56 pm

I've had weird problems when you have 2 sources run phantom through an iso split.
i don't think a transformer stops 48v from running through it...
I'm not sure what happens if you run phantom through the transformer iso instead of the direct though. I imagine that would be fine... so as long as the condensers are getting phantom, then it doesn't matter what the source is...

and of course if it's only you that's using the condensers, then, as the reverend jesse jackson once said, "the question is moot"

musicjunky
studio intern

Post by musicjunky » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:43 pm

Ok, then I will just make sure that whoever is on the iso doesn't have their phantom power on.

Also, i checked out your flying kitchen website and i like your company. Hopefully one day I'll be doing bigger names and more, but right now just local shows in the central valley area all I have, but all my clients are happy, so one day... :)

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:19 am

The transformer does stop 48v. I had to have my rapco splitter changed up to allow phantom in my direction. Stupid me spec'ed it out wrong.....

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:39 am

mwingerski wrote:I've had weird problems when you have 2 sources run phantom through an iso split.
i don't think a transformer stops 48v from running through it...
It certainly does .. unless something's wired wrong.
I'm not sure what happens if you run phantom through the transformer iso instead of the direct though. I imagine that would be fine... so as long as the condensers are getting phantom, then it doesn't matter what the source is...
If you apply phantom at the iso port, it will NOT get through to the mic.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

mwingerski
pushin' record

Post by mwingerski » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:28 pm

good things to know. i've always rented splitter box when we need them and now as i remember, it's actually a resistive split, which means it's passive and is passing phantom through... which is why i've had weird issues...
so duly noted... glad to hear it. I'm actually getting some of these EWI boxes this week and will be thusly better educated in the ways of transformer-ness