Tape Op Omni Problems

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jimbo556
audio school graduate

Tape Op Omni Problems

Post by jimbo556 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:42 pm

So I built two mics and two power supplies. When i plug them in to try them out i have to crank the preamp all the way up to hear anything at all and it's very noisy. This is my first attempt at building anything so i've probably screwed it up. Does the fact that the output is so low and noisy imply a certain kind of problem? Any help or advice would be really appreciated.

Al_Huero
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Al_Huero » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:23 am

I built a couple of these awhile back and the output isn't that week or noisy so you've got a problem of some sort. I'm no expert, but my guess would be a wonky solder connection of some sort; or maybe you torched one of the components with your iron when putting it together. Did you put any epoxy or caulk into the mic body? Depending on what you used that could be an issue as well.

crookedsound
gettin' sounds

Post by crookedsound » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:45 am

Yeah. Check all your solder points. I have built several pairs of these and they are clean and reasonably loud in terms of output.
Every time I have had issues with the performance of the mic's and/or the power supplies, a quick run through and re-soldering of possible bad connections always worked.

Good luck.

soundorphan
audio school

Post by soundorphan » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:32 pm

I sounds like you have a reversed connection. I have built a bunch of these and had to trouble shoot a friends recently with the same problem you might have the pins on one side of your power supply swapped. It is easy to do.
I did a video post cast on some mods recently on my website.

http://www.creativitytospare.com

I made a lavalier version, and a dual gang power supply and have some other suggestions.

Hope this helps

freestyle trombonist
audio school

Post by freestyle trombonist » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:44 pm

i think you're talking about the same mics i made. i did the same thing with the first one, and yeah, it turned out to be a reversed connection. easy enough fix; i just had to retrace my steps and figure out where i'd connected it wrong.