Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

ProTools LE plugin delay compensation

Post by playinbass » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:53 pm

Hi Folks,
New to ProTools LE....7.13 Mac OSX

Whats the best, easiest, most effective way to manually compensate for the delay caused by plugins?

Slide the track you're sending to the plugins back by the number of samples noted in the destination aux track?

Print the plugins using audio suite then slide the resulting track back into place? Can audio suite be used on a group of tracks without printing them together to a stereo pair first?

What are the real world methods being used by you folks who do this everyday?

Thanks!

Gerry

electric sound of jim
ass engineer

Post by electric sound of jim » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:35 pm

i use time adjuster for any plug in delays on drum tracks and medium-to-large delays on anything else. for UAD plugs, i use the included delaycomp plug in.

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:34 am

Thanks very much!

I didn't see any mention of the 'time adjuster' plug in when I was searching 'delay compensation' in the 700 page ProTools manual.

The 'time adjuster' looks like a nice easy solution.

I guess I'll have to copy my group to aother set of tracks, send one set 'dry' to the outputs with the time adjuster and then a second set only to the aux buss (that has the plugs causing the delay).

Sounds like it should work.

Gerry

okcrecording
gimme a little kick & snare

Re: ProTools LE plugin delay compensation

Post by okcrecording » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:54 am

playinbass wrote:Hi Folks,
New to ProTools LE....7.13 Mac OSX

Whats the best, easiest, most effective way to manually compensate for the delay caused by plugins?

Slide the track you're sending to the plugins back by the number of samples noted in the destination aux track?

Print the plugins using audio suite then slide the resulting track back into place? Can audio suite be used on a group of tracks without printing them together to a stereo pair first?

What are the real world methods being used by you folks who do this everyday?

Thanks!

Gerry

wouldnt you have to move the tracks forward to compensate for a plugin delay, not back? or push all the non effected tracks back to the delay of said track?

but you should have no problem selecting multiple tracks and using an audiosuite plugin on a group.

time adjuster is great, also you may already be aware of this, for those who arent, use control-click on the track volume/peak/channel delay indicator to display track delay. command-click for mac.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

s

Post by jeddypoo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:06 pm

Oh my god, I can't believe LE still doesn't have plugin delay compensation. Why is that too much to ask of Digidesign, for christ's sake? Logic Pro AND Express has had that for years now.

GET IT TOGETHER DIGIDESIGN.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:10 pm

Are there other non-AU
(http://www.collective.co.uk/expertsleep ... fixer.html)
third party time adjuster plugs floating about out there?

in the past i've used the phasetone plug, though it is pluggo (1.1), so it adds its own (unreported by PT) latency...

i run PT6.9 os10.3.9, thus no digi plug or pluggo upgrade....
after my current session ends i guess i'll be upgrading to PPT7 and such, but in the meantime....
thanks,
kevin
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:04 am

wouldnt you have to move the tracks forward to compensate for a plugin delay, not back? or push all the non effected tracks back to the delay of said track?

but you should have no problem selecting multiple tracks and using an audiosuite plugin on a group.

time adjuster is great............

Yes, you're correct...it would be forward, but I guess my relative thinking was 'back' in relation to the beginning of the song, or in the measure. Rightward on the timeline anyway. :-)

The time adjuster plug is pretty easy to use...I wonder if there's a command to apply the same plug across a bunch of tracks at the same time (with the same setting adjustment amount). I know you can add the same plug in across multiple tracks all at once, but right now It think it's just set at it's default setting. You can save the time adjuster plug as a pre-set to any amount and I've been doing that and adding it to each track manually.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Gerry