Portico 5032 as a DI preamp ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

unguitar
audio school graduate

Portico 5032 as a DI preamp ?

Post by unguitar » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:28 am

Hello,
please don't ban me from the list for what I am going to say/ask.

I use guitars and sound processors ( both hw and sw) to create my music, which can range between experimental/contemporary/ambient; I don't use amps, my main processed outputs go to the soundacard.
I usually use a wonderful Spl Gainstation 1 as a guitar preamp before going into my rack, I just need to boost signal of about 10/12 dB.
Unfortunately the size of this preamp makes me leaving it at home when I play gigs ( it would need 2 or more rack spaces by itself).

Some time has passed since Neve's Porticos have been put out and I was waiting for this moment to ask you about it.

Has anyone tried to DI a passive guitar signal into one of them ?
If yes, how was it ?
Some preamps designed mainly for mics seem to be less effective - or better said - seem to delivery less substancial wonders when used as signal preamps...

Thanks for your considerations and for keeping me on the list ;-)

my best,
luca

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:32 am

I have no experience with the Portico line, but I can recommend the Avalon U5. Great sounding unit for running direct.

unguitar
audio school graduate

Post by unguitar » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:20 pm

Yes, I tried the Avalon but I preferred the Spl over it.

I forgot to say that I was interested in knowing about the Portico because it is rackmountable and just half rack space.
Spl Gainstation and Avalon U5 are a nightmare for a musician who needs to have a small rack and a fast to set up rig.

luca

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:27 pm

I run a DI into my 5012, never done it on guitar because that's just not my thing, but the Portico sounds awesome on bass to me, especially with "Silk Mode" on, makes it really thick and deep, the hpf is also really useful the way it's set up, very transparent and easy to find the sweet spot.

I think it was a very mature design consideration of them to build all their units into half-rack boxes. Not flashy or shiny, just exactly what you need.

Don't think you could go wrong with any RND stuff.