Renting outboard gear

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

audio[LAB]
gimme a little kick & snare

Renting outboard gear

Post by audio[LAB] » Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:50 pm

Im mixing this weekend and I thought i'd go down to audiorents (www.audiorents.com) in hollywood and rent some outboard gear to try out. Im going to be mixing 2 songs for a band that sounds kind of like wilco meets the flaming lips meets my morning jacket. (awsome combo I know!) Anyway I don't have too much experience with nice compressors. What can you guys reccomend I try out? im looking to compress drums guitars and bass. i dont need eqs but maybe a stereo compressor for the overall mix? The idea is to rent so i can mix and at the same time prepare for my first outboard gear upgrade.

what do ya think? any thoughts on audiorents? I don really know of any other spots around here (haven't really tried looking to be honest)

thanks in advance

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:06 pm

All I can tell you is what I use:

Drum buss: Neve 33609. The original one, with metal knobs. NOT the "C" or the "J" or whatever. sometimes it is the Neve 33314 just so I can use the 33609 on the 2mix.

Across the 2MIX: when I use one, it is the Chandler Zener limiter. Once in a great while I might throw a gates 6144 stereo tube limiter or something like that... like a manley vari-mu type thingy. Usually not.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:39 pm

Looking at Audiorents.com's list....

If you wanted to try some stuff out it might be cool to get a Neve 33609, Chadler TG1 and Manley Vari-mu. Try 'em out in different spots (guitar submix, drum submix and stereo bus)

I'm not sure of Audiorents policies but most rental joints will 'hold' the full replacement cost of the gear on your credit card while you have the gear.

(I'm betting the $5 per day price on the TG1 is a misprint)

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:28 pm

rent whatever is in your budget to possibly buy. i am guessing that vintage 1176's and Fairchilds might not be.
I have always been a big fan of 1176's I am curious about the Summit TLA and a couple other tube comp/lims out there.
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:20 pm

For that sort of thing, I'd guess that a Neve or maybe an ADR Compex might be the right thing, given a choice in rental stuff.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC