What file format is best for streaming audio online?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

linus
re-cappin' neve

What file format is best for streaming audio online?

Post by linus » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:03 pm

I want to post music I've done on the web. Not sure what is the best way to go about it for the best results.

MySpace seems easy but I've heard that music doesn't always sound the best when streamed on MySpace due to the shear volume of traffic on the site. I'm not sure if that's true or not.

So a couple questions:

What is the best file format to use for having music streaming online. What is the best file format to use for song files people can download off a website? Quality of sound versus the file size is probably the issue correct?

Thanks

K.Hendriksen
studio intern

Post by K.Hendriksen » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:59 pm

most servers online will usually only let you post mp3's such as myspace and others. if you can find a host that will allow aac i would go with that. if you have alot of hi end on your recordings it will do that whole chime sound throughout the recording. aac works best for me.
"young artists have got to starve"

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Re: What file format is best for streaming audio online?

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:17 pm

linus wrote:What is the best file format to use for song files people can download off a website?
Thanks
128 kbps MP3 is probably the most universal (almost every player should be able to play them without additional codecs required) and is probably the best bang for the buck size/bandwidth-wise too unless your audience is listening on audiophile-grade computer speakers (do they even make such a thing?). anything lower quality and I think you really start to notice--even with earbuds and $6.99 computer speakers...
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Phiz
buyin' gear

Post by Phiz » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Also, not all X kbps mp3s are created equal -- the encoder you use matters. I'd recommend using LAME. Certainly don't use any program that isn't fairly up to date, as the encoders have improved over the past few years.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:02 am

Thanks a ton. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for.

I'm curious to set-up a website as well. What should I be looking for in a webhost? Any suggestions?

flanneljammies
takin' a dinner break

Post by flanneljammies » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:51 am

linus wrote:Thanks a ton. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for.
I'm curious to set-up a website as well. What should I be looking for in a webhost? Any suggestions?
Encoder: dBpoweramp
Hosing: DreamHost
my $0.02
**At home he's a tourist.**

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:00 am

Can anyone comment on how Lame or dBPoweramp compares with the encoder built into Sony/Sound Forge? I just upgraded from an earlier version of Sound Forge Studio to Sound Forge 9.0 but it hasn't arrived yet (should get here on Monday).