keep the room mic

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:29 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
dokushoka wrote:Also, these drums had to be quantized to make up for the drummer's uneven tempo.
and in doing so, you added weird sounding digital clips that are arguably more distracting than a wobbly performance would be.
i wasn't gonna say anything.

but, paired with the quantizing, the samples make the final article sound like a damned drum machine.

and ExFull.aif is seriously overdone in the reverb department, too...almost to the point of sounding like an manufacturer's demo.

ugh.

in fact, the only example here that doesn't sound like ass to me is the one without samples.

whatever happened to getting the best you can from the source(s) you have to work with?

really?

cos otherwise you may as well just whip out the old HR-16 and get down to step editing.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:17 pm

mcmurrich wrote: give me lots of room. fuck myspace and computer speakers and mp3s and anything else that has contributed to the downfall of great records. if doesn't work in this age i know i'm doing something right.
I think you're my soul mate!! just kidding.. I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again.. when producers stop pandering to the general public and start forcing consumers to accept that not all music should sound exactly alike, the general public will eventually accept it as a given. It's called taking a risk, and I think that dokushuka, as well as a few others, may be a little too concerned with everyone liking his records right away. this is often veiled in statements referring to wanting people to just be able to get into the SONGS and not worry about that it sounds "weird".. The way an album is recorded does have an immense effect of how people take it in.. And for people to take in new music in a way that inspires them, I believe that they must hear it in a unique way.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:43 pm

i personally don't see how you could really even mix for 'the general public'....you'd just be trying to make everything sound how you ASSUME people want it to sound. meanwhile you have the band right there TELLING you to take the damn gated reverb off the snare...

in my experience, most people want their records to sound like a slightly dolled up version of what the are. as opposed to some huge construction loosely based on what they originally recorded.

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:08 pm

Quote:

Also, these drums had to be quantized to make up for the drummer's uneven tempo.

and in doing so, you added weird sounding digital clips that are arguably more distracting than a wobbly performance would be.
Actually that is how the snare sounds in the original track. Its a miss hit and part of why I used the sample.
Let me mix your music!
http://www.sfrecording.com

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:14 pm

I think you're my soul mate!! just kidding.. I've said it before on here, and I'll say it again.. when producers stop pandering to the general public and start forcing consumers to accept that not all music should sound exactly alike, the general public will eventually accept it as a given. It's called taking a risk, and I think that dokushuka, as well as a few others, may be a little too concerned with everyone liking his records right away.
Wow. Please go listen to some records I've done and then come back and tell me I am not taking risks (and really, its not about the engineer taking risks, its about the ARTIST).

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 8&s=143441

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 4&s=143441

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 1&s=143441
Let me mix your music!

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:08 pm

i personally don't see how you could really even mix for 'the general public'....you'd just be trying to make everything sound how you ASSUME people want it to sound. meanwhile you have the band right there TELLING you to take the damn gated reverb off the snare...
What makes you think that I would ever do something that an artist didn't want done? How long would I last if I did that?

Part of why I do these kind of drum sounds is that, with songs like this, the drums are going to need to punch through a huge wall of guitars in order to do that, they need to be compressed to hell and have an ambience that won't disappear in the mix.
Let me mix your music!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:21 pm

Room mic sound.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:41 pm

dokushoka i wasn't addressing that to you personally...i was just saying. but you've talked a lot in this thread about 'mixing for the listener' and 'presenting the song in a way the general public will get', etc. and some of it strikes me as being not necessarily in the best interests of the band or the songs.

like, just a general analogy...people in the 80s at some point seemed to think you just HAD to have the insanely loud snare with tons of gated reverb on it in order for a record to sound professional and/or 'commercially viable'. can we all agree that, say, 'born in the usa' would hold up a lot better if it just had a normal sounding snare? would it not have been a hit? would nevermind not have been massive if it actually sounded like real instruments?

anyway i assure you i am familiar with the huge wall of guitars and the challenge of getting the drums to stand up/cut through. you know what i find really helps?

omni mics on the floor.

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:42 pm

Wow. Please go listen to some records I've done and then come back and tell me I am not taking risks (and really, its not about the engineer taking risks, its about the ARTIST).
that's cool if you feel like you are taking risks.. I'm sure some people would listen to records that i've done and think that i suck.. other people think they are great.. whichever.. I just don't think it's taking a risk, or encouraging to other engineers/ producers to put a specific way of recording down because the general consumer won't like it. And the ARTIST can only take risks up to the point of their songwriting. It's up to us to help them acheive a recording that they love. In my experience, most artists that are worth a shit love sounding original and unique. Why try to make something that is supposed to be original and unique sound like everything else? The recording is an extension of the artist's creativity. They have the ability to say,"I want this or that" during the entire process. We are there to capture what they want, and each band is an entirely different group than the one before, or after. They shouldn't sound the same.

m.koren
audio school

Post by m.koren » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:08 pm

lionaudio wrote: I'm sure some people would listen to records that i've done and think that i suck.. other people think they are great.. whichever.
Sounds pretty good, lionaudio. But, what's with all the gym equipment in the tracking room ? Did you do the last Earth Crisis there or what ? :wink:
Off my back, Fleetwood Mac...

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:22 pm

m.koren wrote:
lionaudio wrote: I'm sure some people would listen to records that i've done and think that i suck.. other people think they are great.. whichever.
Sounds pretty good, lionaudio. But, what's with all the gym equipment in the tracking room ? Did you do the last Earth Crisis there or what ? :wink:
hahaha! we basically made the studio into a "man paradise".. a gym.. naked ladies on the walls.. guns.. etc.. the weights and the treadmill and the elliptical machine are great for when bands get insanely stressed out and want to kill eachother because they are arguing about the snare volume for 3 days.. we just say "hit the weights" when it gets a little too tense, and it works! either that, or we take a break for a bit, and let them shoot our guns to let off steam.. the best part is, I record ALOT of women, and most of them say that being surrounded by so much testosterone makes them rock harder too...

m.koren
audio school

Post by m.koren » Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:04 pm

lionaudio wrote:
m.koren wrote:
hahaha! we basically made the studio into a "man paradise".. a gym.. naked ladies on the walls.. guns.. etc.. the weights and the treadmill and the elliptical machine are great for when bands get insanely stressed out and want to kill eachother because they are arguing about the snare volume for 3 days.. we just say "hit the weights" when it gets a little too tense, and it works! either that, or we take a break for a bit, and let them shoot our guns to let off steam.. the best part is, I record ALOT of women, and most of them say that being surrounded by so much testosterone makes them rock harder too...
Awesome.
Off my back, Fleetwood Mac...