pci vs. firewire: discuss.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

crow
steve albini likes it

pci vs. firewire: discuss.

Post by crow » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:23 pm

I'm beginning to think about upgrading my converters. I currently have a 6 in/2 out Lynx PCI card and a Motu 828mkII which I use as an aggregate device in OSX with Nuendo and Cubase. They've treated me fine so far, but I'd like to simplify my setup and add channels.

I've recently been intrigued by the Metric Halo line, not only because everyone seems to love their stuff, but also because of the lure of "seamless" integration with my DAW. However, I seem to remember hearing some skepticism (at the Nuendo workshop a few TapeOpCons ago) regarding the quality of firewire connections.

Which brings me to the topic in question: what are folks' opinions regarding the benefits and drawbacks of going with a pci-based interface vs firewire-based ones (aside from the obvious portability of firewire devices)?

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:35 pm

You need a good FW chipset, turn of networking functions through firewire and try your best not to ruin the connectors through regular use...because they kind of suck.

That said, unless you're using 24+ in/out at low latency or high sample rates you should be fine with fire wire.

I use an 828 mkII to stream 20 channels to my digital mixer while tracking as much as 12 channels. never had issues and my latencey is down around 10ms. For stuff with less out puts (like 1 stereo) I get latency as low as 1.5ms.

But PCI express is MUCH faster than firewire 400 or 800. Really more bandwidth than anyone needs these days unless you're doing film scoring or something like that. I would lood for a PCI-e card since PCI is slowly being put out of it's misery.
Everything louder than everything else.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:20 pm

fascinating. thanks.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:43 pm

I have to confess, it drives me a little crazy that all my tracks of audio are going through that tiny little crap connector on my laptop. It doesn't seem possible. I mean, it's less robust even than an RCA connector, and it's supposed to be channeling eight tracks of 24-bit goodness with no degredation?!!? What the hell!!

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:55 pm

inverseroom wrote:I have to confess, it drives me a little crazy that all my tracks of audio are going through that tiny little crap connector on my laptop. It doesn't seem possible. I mean, it's less robust even than an RCA connector, and it's supposed to be channeling eight tracks of 24-bit goodness with no degredation?!!? What the hell!!
It's the elves. Elves do it.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:36 am

You can look at the comparison from a pragmatic side, as well as a technical side.

Pragmatic side:
For lower track count and wider product variety, firewire will work. There are both very good and crappy implementations. Going to heavy track count, PCI is the winner.

Technical side:
I'm not a hardware designer, but I play one on TV (take this with a block of salt, and I hope someone can clarify it for me as well). If memory serves, firewire does not time stamp the packets of info, but instead depends on high speed to prevent this from being an issue. I think this may be called isochronous mode or something.

Drug side:
PCI is like mainlining, but firewire is more like smoking. There's an extra layer or two of processing in firewire which can bottleneck, or cause issues depending on implementation.

At the end of the day, it depends on how well the device and drivers are implemented, unless you need a very high track count. At this point in time, PCI will always win over firewire when you have demands of high sample rate/track count.

I wish there were more standard solutions on a pci side. It seems everyone has their own card, some of which are buggy. At this point in time I guess an AES card would be the most universal device for a variety of high end convertors.

Best,
H

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:12 am

thanks again!

Carl Hungus
studio intern

Post by Carl Hungus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:28 am

Keep in mind that many firewire drives and audio devices don't like daisy chaining. Digidesign hardware in particular needs its own port, with your external drives needing their own. Even MOTU hardware will lose track count if you try to chain those devices off of one port.

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:03 am

PCI and PCI express are not the same thing (obviously). Figure out what you have in your computer and what products are available.

When I was looking for convertor/cards a year or two ago PCI express was newer and there wasn't much available. I'm sure a lot has changed.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:46 pm

PCI Express definitely seems to be the way to go. Unfortunately, my G5 is PCI, which is partly why firewire is attractive.

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:25 pm

I have been going through this as well. It may be worth it to get both, and use the firewire for mobile recording, or any portable situation.

I figured I'd get the Metric Halo 2882, which I have used, and it is solid, but for applications requiring higher count, I'll probably go with a lynx aurora or similar into an AES card.

I know the options are paralyzing, and expensive, but the MH box is good and solid.

Best,
H

kronosonic
takin' a dinner break

Post by kronosonic » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:06 am

have a look at the RME FW info page

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_tech ... o_firewire
http://myspace.com/infiniteegosavioronasis

A personal friend of the legendary Jean Pecan Hoe

japmn
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by japmn » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:49 am

Your computer will never loose a PCI buss (at least mine hasn't)but I have got firewire interrupts multiple times in the past. Also the Mini Firewire on my laptop is worn out and the plug just falls out all the time. USB and FIREWIRE are poorly designed attachments. they should be more hardy.

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:03 pm

i agree with that, for sure.

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:38 pm

Well, I'm going to be the odd man out and say I love firewire and I haven't yet had any problems with it. I have daisy-chained tons of stuff through my 002 and 003 with no problems. I also have recorded to and mixed from USB 2.0 hard drives with no problems. I do wish there were better connectors available, like something like an XLR or a modular plug (the network kind with the little clip).