Broken AKG D112 - any advice?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff_Moxley
audio school

Broken AKG D112 - any advice?

Post by Jeff_Moxley » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:15 am

Hello,
My AKG D112 kick drum mic just suddenly konkned out and will not make a sound. This is the second D112 that I have had this happen to. I would like to open this one up and see what I can do, but I really don't know what to look for . I must be doing something wrong to have done this twice.

I always leave the mic set-up in front of the kick drum even when not recording, but I don?t think that should make a difference. The only thing I can think of is maybe some sort of surge from the phantom power on my RAMSA mixer where it was plugged in blew something up. That mixer has a phantom power switch that affects all the channels, but it hasn?t seemed to affect any of the other non-phantom mics... Anyway help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jeff

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: Broken AKG D112 - any advice?

Post by Andy Peters » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:02 pm

Jeff_Moxley wrote:Hello,
My AKG D112 kick drum mic just suddenly konkned out and will not make a sound. This is the second D112 that I have had this happen to. I would like to open this one up and see what I can do, but I really don't know what to look for . I must be doing something wrong to have done this twice.

I always leave the mic set-up in front of the kick drum even when not recording, but I don?t think that should make a difference. The only thing I can think of is maybe some sort of surge from the phantom power on my RAMSA mixer where it was plugged in blew something up. That mixer has a phantom power switch that affects all the channels, but it hasn?t seemed to affect any of the other non-phantom mics... Anyway help would be appreciated.
The phantom "surge" isn't enough to damage the mic.

I've had a D112 fail twice for no apparent reason. The first time, I sent the mic back to AKG and they fixed it. Cost was about half the cost of a new mic. The second time, I just had them send me a new capsule. Dunno if the mic still works or not as it was for a club I used to work at and I haven't been there in ten years.

I've had my own D112 for about fifteen years and it's never failed.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."