Looking For: CD Mastering Seattle/Portland/Vancouver

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Looking For: CD Mastering Seattle/Portland/Vancouver

Post by Suntower » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:51 am

Hi,

I'm yer (I guess) typical self-produced 'artiste'. You'd call what I do 'prog' rock, I suppose. I've got 4 records and I'm nearing the end of my current stock.

I have never been totally happy with the mix/mastering on any of them so I'm re-mixing them now and looking for mastering services in/around Seattle/Portland/Vancouver.

BTW: This is not to criticise the original engineers; I largely didn't know what I was doing or wanted. Some very respected guys worked on them.

However, the guys I have used have always been far, far away and I'm hoping this time to choose a place where I can actually be there; not just for the main session, but also if there need be any follow up. In the past it was somewhat difficult communicating what I wanted each time by phone/e-mail.

SO: Any recommendations on places in these areas? OR: Any recommendations on resources to find people (other than the MIX directory, of course.)

Thanks In Advance,

---JC

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:14 pm

Have Ed Brooks @ RFI CD master it for you. He's awesome. They're in Seattle.

kdarr
buyin' gear

Post by kdarr » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:37 pm

Meriphew wrote:Have Ed Brooks @ RFI CD master it for you. He's awesome. They're in Seattle.
+1, word to that. Ed & Rick are great, and the studio smells good, too. Kinda like... cedar?

[<|>]

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:22 pm

Meriphew wrote:Have Ed Brooks @ RFI CD master it for you. He's awesome. They're in Seattle.
Thanks. I just got off the phone with Rick Fisher. He said all the right things and they're pretty convenient. I'll definitely stop by there and check it out.

---JC

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Another vote for Ed Brooks at RFI. He's the only guy I use in Seattle and the only one I completely trust. Ed rules.

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:28 pm

I think Ed and all the guys at RFI do an amazing job. That being said, they're also the most expensive game in town. They're still cheap compared to NY and LA prices, but pretty damn expensive. I've always been a little put off by having to pay $75 for the "master" when it's just a CD-R. Paying a high hourly rate is fine for great work, but then burning me a CD that costs pennies and charging a ridiculous amount for it because it's the first one you burned for me seems a bit crazy. Aside from that mini rant, I've been really happy with the quality of mastering every time I've been to RFI.

For a more affordable alternative, I highly recommend you check out Chris Hanzsek. I've sent five projects to him this year and every single client has told me it was a great experience, the quality of his work is excellent, and it was super affordable compared to RFI. It's a trek to get to his place (he's in south Everett), but well worth the trip. He's the only ME I've ever had tell me that if the band or myself weren't happy with the sound of it that he'd redo it for free until we were happy. http://www.hanzsekaudio.com

If you have a big budget for RFI, I'd suggest you look into Barry Corliss at Masterworks too. Comparable prices and quality to RFI but with a different vibe/philosophy.

-doc

Shawn Simmons
buyin' a studio

Post by Shawn Simmons » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:36 pm

Yes, RFI can get expensive but it's worth it. They know what they're doing. They aren't just some dudes who bought a computer and some plugins and opened up shop. Ask Rick an audio question and you will get more knowledge on the subject than you ever thought existed.

I think the reason RFI charges that much for a master is because of all the quality control that they do. They run a battery of tests on your master and listen to it top to bottom. Basically they treat your master with white gloves. Then if there are any problems at the duplication house, you know it's not your master. But if you really want to know, just ask them.

They are the best in town, IMO. I can't say enough about RFI. They kick ass.

Suntower
gettin' sounds

Post by Suntower » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:11 pm

Thanks for the tips. Frankly, RFI is relatively -cheap- compared with any 'name' company I have worked with or heard about.

But regardless, this is my living, so it doesn't make sense to 'shop price'.

Again, thanks for all replies.

---JC

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:44 pm

Ed is great.
And he's a great guy.