2x2 Ceiling Tile treatment

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mwingerski
pushin' record

2x2 Ceiling Tile treatment

Post by mwingerski » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:10 am

I'm about to move my mix / edit room into a small office in a larger studio. The room i'm moving into is 14x14 (approximately) and it has a commercial style tile ceiling laid out in a standard grid with 2x2 ceiling tile and 3 flourescent light fixtures (which are 2ft by 4ft).

Three walls are wood, (redwood, I believe....very 70's california vibe) one of them is covered in burlap (the room was once used for video editing / authoring) and it sounds rather dead.

My main concern is getting the ceiling refurbished. Some of the 2x2 tiles are cracked and the lights just look old and creepy...

I'm thinking of some combination of diffusors and absorbers on the ceiling, I was wondering if anybody had some DIY or store bought suggestions that would be economical to treat the ceiling and also change the lighting.

The only ceiling products I've found so far are the auralex T-fusors which just look a little too much like the inside of the Death Star...and at 60 bucks for each 2x2 tile, seem a little bit expensive as far as treating much of the room.

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:46 am

You could pretty easily build your own panels for that, using rockwool or 703 cut to fit each panel, with cloth coverings. Put a few of the diffusor inserts here and there.

Also, for good bass trapping above a drop ceiling, you could just pack the cavity above the drop ceiling with thick layers of standard pink insulation, which will give you a lot of absorption/bass trapping.

Depending on how much ceiling height you have up above, you could also build bass hangers.

Sounds like an interesting room.... though if it really is 14x14 you'll have some standing wave issues at those wavelengths.

natas
gettin' sounds

Post by natas » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:37 pm

Turn it up?

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:11 pm

Ethan Winer's RealTraps have ceiling tile options. Although not as cheap as HomeDepot ceiling tiles, they are quite a bit cheaper than standalone RealTrap bass traps.

http://realtraps.com