Broken sm57

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Broken sm57

Post by randrohe » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:01 pm

Hello All,
I have a 57 that took a drop to the floor and now has a constant buzzy sound. I contacted shure and they quoted 55$ plus s/h. I took off the capsule hoping to see something as simple as a wire off, but they were intact. Any insight as to what to look for next? At this point,, I wouldn't care if it is original, so maybe there is some kind of cool mod I could perform on it. thanx in advance, Rand

paully
pushin' record

Post by paully » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:10 am

Spend an extra couple bucks and buy a new one. Probably tax and shipping free from http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM57/ .

Best, Paul
WADAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!

buenavista
studio intern

Post by buenavista » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:18 am

You might have a bad connection between pin 1 (ground of xlr) and the case. This happened to me on a 57 and it was an easy fix.

First thing to do would be to check for continuity between pin 1 and the case with a volt meter. One pole to pin 1, and one pole to a bare spot on the interior wall of case.

But even if you are getting continuity, I would take the xlr off and inspect the grounding mechanism. In my case, for instance, it was an intermittant problem that didn't reveal itself when I was testing with the meter. (The physical pressure applied with the volt meter was actually closing the open/broken connection.)

Once you have have removed the xlr connector from the case there are two things to check for. 1) make sure the little "buttlerfly" tab is springy enough to make connection to the inside of case and 2) make sure the tiny wire that connects pin 1 to the butterfly tab is not broken.

In my case it was the tiny wire connector that was the problem. It wasn't apparent at first, so inspect it closely. If it's broken, you'll need to do some soldering work.

Hope that helps.

The Scum
mixes from purgatory

Post by The Scum » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:15 pm

That $55 isn't such a bad deal.

That last time I did it, Shure kept the old mics, and sent brand new ones.

randrohe
takin' a dinner break

Post by randrohe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:40 am

thank you for the replys. I will take a look at the ground. all the best, Rand