Logic Pro 8... it is here.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:56 pm

The new way of managing multiple takes.. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I want it now. :D
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:37 pm

My copie will be here on Monday. I can't wait to use it. Finally editing audio in a more "Logical" way. HA!

-Collin

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:28 am

Man, I would love to go mac, I just can't afford it now. But the way to comp tracks in logic is absolutely genius.

It kind of sucks because it seems as people get more reliant on daw's they expect editing to the minute detail, but damn! If yuo have to do it, that is the way to go.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

Sculli
takin' a dinner break

Post by Sculli » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:17 pm

Does Logic have auto delay compensation?
Thanks!
Peace,
Kevin

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:34 pm

pk wrote:That is the one thing about Live that makes it so intuitive...but I still hate the sound quality (an overly debated topic, but I stand firm that the mix buss sucks, imo).
Just wanted to say I always appreciate it when someone brings this up, so I don't feel like I'm going nuts when Live sounds bad to me. Sooner or later, PT, Logic, or Cubase will match Ableton's ease of use, and personally I can't wait.

Okay, my bad, back on-topic . . .
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

wicker
audio school graduate

Post by wicker » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:40 am

For you fellow Logic Express users, it appears much of the same awesomeness offered in Pro v8 is also available in Express v8. Yay $99 upgrade!
Jon

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:59 pm

If any of you could post results regarding how 8 is running on your system (and of course, include your systems specs) it would be much appreciated... I should be receiving 8 this week but am a bit worried since according to their recommendations I'm almost at the bare minimum of what's needed (I'm running on an iBook with a 1.42 Ghz processor with 1.5 gigs of RAM).

fulltimehuman
audio school

Post by fulltimehuman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:35 pm

Notes from the edge of the Pacific Plate-
I have Logic Studio installed on My Quad 2.5 G5 PPC now and it sure is a major upgrade. All inclusive main window is nice and the whole thing has undergone a dare-I-say-it...Ableton Live-like influenced updated GUI with regards to eye-gonomic(just made that up) changes that seem to be where they should be. e.g. window resize on the lower right for horizontal and vertical. Kind of dum-dum but more friendly to mind and mouse it seems.The routing is more user friendly.Everything seems to be accesible from the main window and all the routing is allready added in to whatever track you drop in. Some "studio-pro's' might not like the Garagebandy, Live-like easy routing defaults I would guess...which I haven't won the lottery on yet so I'm clamming up...but I'm sure those can be fine tuned.
I haven't yet tracked on it. And my interface has notorious buggy issues(Onyx 1640 w/ firewire...which without fail drops master audio playback after 15 minutes but can be used to track....if I'm FAST! Or I have a Delta 44 or a little Tascam US-224...just running the typical patchwork home studio setup... It sure is purty, and Mainstage had me twanging a preset Indian drone and sitar setup for 30 minutes before I realized wtf I was doing...which is always a good thing...sometimes.I have never posted on the forum but love to be the voyeur and read everyones great info and damn funny jokes!! -thanks all...(presses record...)

HeadHeavy
audio school graduate

Post by HeadHeavy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:33 pm

My inital reaction upon seeing the new logic 8 was a bit saddened that they "garagebanded" it down. I am a longtime logic user and do all of my composng, recording and even mixing in 7.2. However i always thought that if i could edit in logic like i can in PT, Than it'd just be game over..and this could be it! the more I read the more attractive it does become. However I know I'll still wait a while to upgrade.
Just dry it up a little bit and add some reverb...use echo instead of delay...put some more presence on at about 200Hz....you know what I want.

heatlamp
pluggin' in mics

Post by heatlamp » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:15 pm

I'm afraid to look too much at the new application, as I have a student edition of logic pro 7. No discounted upgrades available to me, and I certainly don't have the money to shell out for 8.
Ignorance IS bliss right??

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:01 pm

Heatlamp wrote:
I'm afraid to look too much at the new application, as I have a student edition of logic pro 7. No discounted upgrades available to me, and I certainly don't have the money to shell out for 8.
Well, if you're still eligible for academic pricing, you can get Logic Studio for $149 with a bit of looking around. Check the Logic boards over at apple.com.

Logic Studio is Logic 8, Main Stage, Sound Track Pro 2, Compressor, etc.

And if you're no longer eligible, then the whole shebang is now just $499 retail. You may recall that being the academic price for Logic 7.

Jim

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

No Ilok

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:29 pm

Incidentally, there is no dongle copy protection on Logic 8. It's serial number only. I saw someone complain about Ilok on this thread.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

jeddypoo
re-cappin' neve

s

Post by jeddypoo » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:31 pm

oh yeah, I forgot to add- Logic has always had delay compensation, yes.
I find adherence to fantasy troubling and unreasonable.

xusr
pluggin' in mics

Post by xusr » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:39 am

Anyone using Logic 8 on an original MacBook with only 1 gig of ram?

w_
pushin' record

Post by w_ » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:35 am

xusr wrote:Anyone using Logic 8 on an original MacBook with only 1 gig of ram?
I'm using 8 on a non-intel ibook 1.42 GHZ with 2 GB of RAM and it ain't pretty (recording to an external firewire PPA drive). I literally have a couple organ audio instruments open, space designer and a compressor on the bus, and everything is working like it is in slow motion (I don't even have any audio playing, just those two midi tracks and the plug-ins). Logic stalls then stops often with a precessor overload error.

Doesn't that seem ridiculous or is it about what you'd expect from an older non-intel machine? I'm worried my ibook is messed up because I didn't think the performance would be so awful.