retail in the studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

retail in the studio

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:34 pm

just wondering,

does anyone use their studio as a retail space for boutique guitar amps/ microphones/ outboard or other gear?

this was something i had considered doing, selling small guitar amps/ pedals out of my studio space in the unbooked hours.

just wondering if anyone else is making this happen.

mingus2112
re-cappin' neve

Post by mingus2112 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:27 am

Seems like it would be a great place to be able to "try before you buy."

Things to consider would be "walk-ins" (are you in a retail space?) and hours of operation. You'd have to work something out logistically, but i bet it could be done.
HWJLHC?

nacho459
re-cappin' neve

Post by nacho459 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:43 am

My buddy and I came up with a gain boost petal that we sell...

http://www.myspace.com/crowncityengineering

A lot of the time my studio becomes testing zone. So it kinda works both ways bands come in to record, and many check out the petal, and vise versa. Making a studio / boutique amp shop could really work well, you would always have a bunch of cool amps, and if someone recording fell in love with your amp you could sell it to them.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:41 am

This idea can be problematic, depending on how your business is set up. In Illinois, and specifically for my studio, it is registered as a "service" business. This means customers pay no tax on their session, because that's the nature of Illinois tax law. My accountant informs me that:

- If I secure tape for a client

- and I sell that tape to the client

- I must sell that tape for exactly the amount shown on the invoice from the tape purveyor, and supply that invoice along with the tape.

- if the studio generates ANY revenue from the sale of the tape, then that technically constitutes product sale and the business charter doesn't allow that.

I'm not smart enough to really know anything about this, or to even deal with it much. That's what I retain an accountant for. I got a good one. He takes care of me. I pay attention to what he says. Learn what the laws are in your area is my message...

I do some modest building and rack/repair jobs for people. While I may use the studio to showcase those efforts, all that work is off the studio books and completely part of the underground economy.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:13 am

We sell stickers, T-shirts and crap like that. We have a tiny display in the lounge with no prices, just some shwag. We always get asked where the client can get a shirt or a sticker after a trip to the lounge. We see these as advertising so we do not make much money on them but we make a few beans. We also have a duplicator so we sell CD's. Every project ends up buying some cd's to give to family.

Other moneymakers are...
Guitar strings....
Snare heads.....
Drumsticks.....

We just have a box of this stuff and an inventory sheet. We add the cost to the project and everyone is happy. I get a pretty good deal at the big guitar box store and mark up a bit from there.

soma
Good Luck At Any Cost

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:49 am

its an interesting idea, i might go for it. the amp pedal thing is feeling more reasonable that mics/ pres/ comps.

ballpein
pushin' record

Post by ballpein » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 pm

I would love to see something like this in my area, if only because it would be nice to buy something from someone who might actually know what they're talking about.

heatlamp
pluggin' in mics

Post by heatlamp » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:26 pm

There is a guy in my area that sells new and used drum equipment out of a shed behind his house. I don't know how in the hell he makes any business doing this - I heard about him through word of mouth (never have seen any advertising), he is in the middle of nowhere and runs based on a call and make an appointment kind of system. Clearly though, he is doing well enough. I spent a couple hours and about $400 dollars over there a month ago, and I had a great time. He is definitely doing enough business to get by (and more).
This could be a possibility for you.

bluesman
re-cappin' neve

Post by bluesman » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:10 pm

9v & AA batteries ought to move like crazy. Guitar cords & pedal interconnect cables should do well too.
"The digital future sucks the boils off my white ass." McHugh