Alternatives to Waves Q10

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Alternatives to Waves Q10

Post by electrofloss » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:25 pm

I am leaving Waves behind forever (for what by now are obvious reasons), and am slowly finding replacement plug-ins that are just as good or better (and WAY cheaper).

One thing I miss about the Q10, though, is the ability to REALLY zoom in on a particular frequency with a super high Q. I mostly work in post production, and the Q10 was great for fixing the dreaded "camera whine" of poorly recorded DV audio, among other things.

Any recommendations? I'm not necessarily looking for a great sound - cold and surgical would suite me just fine for these kinds of applications. I work with ProTools, so TDM or RTAS is preferred.

Thanks!

markitzero
pushin' record

Post by markitzero » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Elemental Audio's Eqium (or whatever the hell the new Roger Nichols version is called) destroys the Q10. The Q10 is one of the grainier sounding EQs of that variety. You can do much better with most of them.... check out Wave Arts' Trackplug for a great sounding EQ with excellent compression and gating.

Vogon
takin' a dinner break

Post by Vogon » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:34 pm

I noticed that about the Q series eq's.
Never liked them. But I ditched waves a while back, using the sonnox for a lot of "cleaner" stuff now.

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:35 pm

Thanks guys.

I never really liked the sound of the Q series either, I just found it to be a really effective notch filter. I must say, however, that I was rather fond of the Renaissance EQ. And the Renaissance compressor, actually. And the RVox was sometimes just the thing for that really crushing the voiceover to get "that sound".

Ah well, no looking back now!

mdoomsday
audio school

Post by mdoomsday » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:33 am

What "obvious reasons" are you referring to in regards to leaving Waves behind?

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:25 am

These threads pretty well cover it

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... hlight=wup
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... ight=waves
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopi ... ight=waves

I know that they've changed their WUP policy, but it is too little too late. I bought the Native Power Pack a few years ago for what was at the time equivalent to $1,000,000,000 for my broke ass. Because I didn't participate in their WUP extortion, it is now useless with my current software. They are scumbags, through and through.

mdoomsday
audio school

Post by mdoomsday » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:24 pm

wow. thanks, i was actually considering splurging for some of their plug ins. glad i didn't. i will stick to the PSPs and Izotopes.

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:34 pm

Well, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to know that maybe I convinced somebody to not give one red cent to Waves. So thank you!

After re-reading one of Professor's posts about the Digi EQIII plug-in, I've been giving it a try. It is quite good! Wish it took up a little less screen real estate, but I think it sounds pretty nice, especially considering the price.

The Digi Dynamics plugs are much less impressive. The compressors blows. The De-esser seems okay, though.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Re: Alternatives to Waves Q10

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:02 pm

electrofloss wrote: I mostly work in post production, and the Q10 was great for fixing the dreaded "camera whine" of poorly recorded DV audio, among other things.
You know I think that is the only thing I use my Waves EQ's for nowadays.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:07 pm

Wavearts +1

Trackplug 5 is impossibly convenient, flexible, processor light and affordable. Plus it sounds good if thats important. By comparison, Waves Audiotrack is a real PITA to work with or at least thats how I feel.

markitzero
pushin' record

Post by markitzero » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:03 am

lancebug wrote:Wavearts +1

Trackplug 5 is impossibly convenient, flexible, processor light and affordable. Plus it sounds good if thats important. By comparison, Waves Audiotrack is a real PITA to work with or at least thats how I feel.
Yea, I love Trackplug. Everything on it sounds excellent. It's actually my favorite software compressor at the moment. I wish the EQ screen was a little bigger though. But between that and Eqium, I'm covered.

Trackplug 5 will, however, introduce latency in PTLE, so you have to shift that track back however many samples of latency there are (I think its 192 with Trackplug). PITA, but worth it to use this plug.