Experience with Royers & The Mouse...?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SamPura
audio school graduate

Experience with Royers & The Mouse...?

Post by SamPura » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:28 pm

I'm looking into getting two Royer R121's for stereo drum micing & for guitars. Apparently those ribbons change every engineer's life. I'm hoping they can change my drum tones for the better.

I'm looking into the Soundelux (Apparently now called Bock audio) 195 and also The Blue Mouse, the reason being I'd really like to start utilizing the glyn john's method with the ribbons and hit the room with a fat warm condenser like the U195 or the Mouse.

I'm also wanting some awesome guitar tones. I'd like to add a second mic with the Royer on them ideally with either the Mouse or the U195... and it would be fat to use a the same large condenser on kick with my yamaha subkick and e602.

Yada..Yada..Geek Talk... How are you guys liking these mics if you've had experiences with them? I'm trying to get thicker heavy tones for my "heavier" recording style that I do. What's the quality choice I should make?

Joe Baressi... ..Queen of The Stone Age, Weezer
Michael Beinhorn... The Bronx, Sound Garden.

The classic "ROCK DRUMS IN A FAT ROOM" direction. Hit me with some knowledge!!!

Thanks guys!

-Sam

P.S. www.ThePandaStudios.com if you'd like to check out my gear and studio. New site. :)

Thanks for the help!

UXB
steve albini likes it

Post by UXB » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:55 am

They are great mics, but your reasoning may be oversimplified, at least with what you stated. You fail to mention what mic pres you are going to use, esp. with the royers.

The mouse is not "fat" in my book, as much as hyped on top, but in a nice way that clears up dark sources.

There's not enough info for me to form an underinformed opinion which I will sanctimoniously wield as truth.

If you have an unlimited budget, go get those mics, and perhaps a lunchbox filled with API and Great River, and a few "common" mics to go around (SM7, and some SDC's). The variety will really help guide you.

Best,
H

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:25 am

use the search function too. there's a shitload of threads on all three of those mics.

FWIW, i have very limited experience with the royers (mostly just observing sessions), but they do sound great. whether or not it will change your life relies more on your abilities as an engineer then the mics themselves. i'm sure they would make things easier for you in getting quality sounds. it's pretty crazy to just up and spend $2600 on a pair without trying one out first though (assuming you haven't).

anyways,

good luck.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

SamPura
audio school graduate

Mic Pre's...

Post by SamPura » Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:02 pm

For you're Preamp question...

API 3124+
Focusrite ISA 428
Trident S20
UA M610's
Seventh Circle N72's

With an 1176, and two Distressors, and an old-school dual DBX 160 for compression.

Meriphew
deaf.

Post by Meriphew » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:19 am

Royer 121s are stellar mics. Worth every penny. Soundelux/Bock is a great mic company, putting out some fantastic mics - U-195 included. The Blue Mouse is a cool mic as well. Tough choice between the U-195 and the Mouse. I'd probably go with the 195 though.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:39 pm

www.proaudioheaven.com

is there a mic there that looks like that Royer to you?

;)

those there, I got a matched pair, they're definitely beefier in the mids than a royer, but a smidge of EQ made em sound like a million bucks.

i liked em better on vocals and room mics than I did as overheads, though.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

heylow
george martin

Post by heylow » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:06 pm

Personally, I'd definitely cut out the Mouse as an option for anything like room mics or overheads. I haven't used the 195 but I'd all but guarantee it will do a better job.

The Mouse seems really specific as to what it wants to be "fat and warm" on. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool mic for many things but it can really have a biting presence that just won't sit down and behave in a track, IMHO. Not a characteristic I'd want to impart on brass of any kind.

Might be just me though...

heylow

nestle
re-cappin' neve

Post by nestle » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:24 pm

HHmm, Have both the Royer and the Mouse, Both excellent, but be sure to get the older true Latvian Mouse, I can't say about the build of those new ones.

I don't think the Mouse is to overhyped in the brite area, like an older U87 but better (only cardiod)
Royer no doubt is my number one guitar amp mic, that did change alot for me as results go. I like flipping to the back side for that brighter sound.

I like the Mouse on Bass amp and Male vox.