Guitar Center stories good and bad

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

GooberNumber9
tinnitus

Post by GooberNumber9 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:34 pm

Allegedly Chuck's is the single largest music retailer in the world. Not sure exactly how that would work if true, but they do a ton of business, and like 80% of their salespeople have been there like 20 years or more. I have a hard time seeing myself going anywhere else to buy a guitar if I want to play them in person.

I see Chuck's as being very different from GC, in that the sales guys really know their stuff. You just have to not be a dumb kid and only ask them questions that really make sense. It doesn't hurt if you make friends with them and/or drop $2000+ in a single day, either.

Brian Meder, Mitch, and Sean Robinson are all cool guys. Anyone reading this who makes it into the DC area should do their best to at least stop by Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center. Just be aware that they have several buildings and the pro sound building is a couple doors up the street. There's a ton of nice big live consoles in there. Very drool-worthy and nothing you would EVER see in a GC.

Todd Wilcox

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:32 am

GooberNumber9 wrote:I see Chuck's as being very different from GC, in that the sales guys really know their stuff.

There's a ton of nice big live consoles in there. Very drool-worthy and nothing you would EVER see in a GC.
Both very good and valid distinctions from GC...

doc
pushin' record

Post by doc » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:38 am

Every time my band goes on tour we joke about going to Guitar Centers and how excited we are to make so many new friends, because as soon as we walk in the door they see a touring band and it's all, "hey dude!" "what's up man!" "how's going today guys!" from every single sales guy. All we need is strings, sticks, heads, and picks, but they try to talk us into whatever bullshit cabling and mics are on sale. Here's my favorite though, and this has happened without fail every single time....

Me: Hey, need I a 110 gauge bass string (I always break my low C)

G.C.: Cool, that'll be $11.00

Me: Umm, there's no way I'm paying $11.00 for one string. I'm on tour, help me out.

G.C.: You should just buy a whole pack for like $15.00

Me: I don't need a whole pack, just give me a deal on the one.

G.C.: (after fiddling with the computer for far too long) Okay dude, I'm gonna give you the super hookup of $5.00. But that's cost. We're not making a penny.

Me: Thanks for the help man.

Then as soon as I've paid I let the guy know that I work for an independent music store in Seattle and our cost on those strings is about $2.50 and we sell them for $5.00 every day. And that there's no way the mom and pop shop I work for gets a better deal from distributors than G.C.

G.C.: I'm just telling you what the computer says amigo.

The worst part is you know almost every week some kid walks in there who doesn't know anything about anything except he broke the low string on his bass. Faced with $11 for one string or $15 for a set and being a broke 14 year old, he opts to save the $4 and gets completely taken advantage of buying one string for $11.

-doc

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:24 am

Here in Wisconsin we are blessed with a GC and just as dumb-assed of a place called Cascio Interstate. Really, you could take employees of either store and get the same pile of shit dumb fuck answers, lack of service, so on.

I've had a good deals here and there and the same idiot things happen. It all depends. Although one of my favorites was I went to buy some power tubes for my Hot Rod Deville. I wanted GT with a rating of 1-3. I asked the guy if they had that. "I dunno." Hands me one with a rating of 8 or whatever. I pointed out the numbers..."Oh I didn't know anything about that. That's cool to know." He fumbles around for awhile then pulls out the 4-6 rating or whatever the middle ones are. "I can special order them for you otherwise." Me: No I need them now so I'll take what you have.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

JASIII
george martin

Post by JASIII » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:37 pm

TV Lenny wrote:Here in Wisconsin we are blessed with a GC and just as dumb-assed of a place called Cascio Interstate. Really, you could take employees of either store and get the same pile of shit dumb fuck answers, lack of service, so on.
Ha ha, right on Interstate cascio! I've never set foot in the place, but I hate them because I work at a mom and pop shop, and when it comes time to submit bids to schools for major equipment purchases, sure enough Interstate manages to lowball everyone and take all the bids. the shady part is that often the prices they bid are below our cost! Now you tell me how when all stores are SUPPOSED to get equal prices from the distributors (done purposely to keep the playing field level) that they can sell below cost? I call bullshit and say they are getting under the table prices from the distributors. Can I prove it, no. But fuck them right in the ear, just the same.
"If you will starve unless you become a rock star, then you have bigger problems than whether or not you are a rock star. " - Steve Albini

A-Barr
tinnitus

Post by A-Barr » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:52 pm

They may just be eating the loss to eliminate the competition, in the same way the Rockefellers did with oil.

jakerock
alignin' 24-trk

Post by jakerock » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:07 pm

Man...
After having to wait like 15 minutes for a GC employee to talk a poor bastard into buying an epiphone acoustic, and then every useless accessory know to man, extra strings, tuner, kapo, slide, picks and a can of that that crappy "fret ease" stuff, I finally got his attention.

"Hey Dude."

"Hey buddy, I need 2 sets of D'Addario 11's please"

"You know what, those really arent your best choice."

I was boiling inside already for having to wait forever to just buy a couple of set of strings, but he started making his pitch for some kind of futuristic strings that were made by dipping in liquid nitrogen and then coated in some kind of polymer.
"Its the only string worth using." He concluded.

"You mean they are coated in plastic?" I said.

"Yeah, they keep their tone alot longer."

Out of politeness, I asked how much they were for a set.

...They were like $15 / set.

"Thanks for telling me about them, but no thanks man, I'll just take the D'Addarios"

He kept on about the goddamn space mission strings...

I realized that I had been waiting to buy strings for like 20 minutes.

"Man, with respect, I have to say I have been playing guitar for about 20 years now, I definitely know what kind of strings I want."

He gave me that, "Ok man, but your a fool" shrug and rang me up.

What a drag it is to go in there. Jesus.

-Jason

Jess P
takin' a dinner break

Post by Jess P » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:11 pm

The GC here (Overland Park, KS) isn't too. bad. Just don't ask for balanced 1/4". I keep getting handed instrument cables.

I was recording a live show one night and realized I needed a few cables. I ran to GC at 7:15 and they closed at 7. I banged on the door and the guy inside mouthed "we're closed." Really? Because I thought that I should knock before I came in. I kept pounding on the door till someone came over to quiet me.
"What's up, man?"
"I'm doing some recording and I need a few cables now. I know what I need, I'll be in and out."
"Ok. ALL RIGHT GUYS LETS GET THIS MAN SOME CABLES!"
I had two guys quickly grab some XLR and TRS cables (after some explaining) and I was in and out. They even took the time to try and upsale me. It really shows they care. Seriously though, they helped me in a pinch.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:46 pm

Tide Recording wrote:The GC here (Overland Park, KS) isn't too. bad. Just don't ask for balanced 1/4". I keep getting handed instrument cables.

I was recording a live show one night and realized I needed a few cables. I ran to GC at 7:15 and they closed at 7. I banged on the door and the guy inside mouthed "we're closed." Really? Because I thought that I should knock before I came in. I kept pounding on the door till someone came over to quiet me.
"What's up, man?"
"I'm doing some recording and I need a few cables now. I know what I need, I'll be in and out."
"Ok. ALL RIGHT GUYS LETS GET THIS MAN SOME CABLES!"
I had two guys quickly grab some XLR and TRS cables (after some explaining) and I was in and out. They even took the time to try and upsale me. It really shows they care. Seriously though, they helped me in a pinch.
That is fucking incredible. At the Cherry Hill, NJ store, they'd just give you the finger through the glass.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

kearnsalot
ass engineer

Post by kearnsalot » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:12 am

I've generally had alright experiences with buying cymbals from them and usually didn't try and talk me into anything more than what I needed. Too bad I sold 2 out of the 3 cymbals I got there. Not worth it. I miss them like crazy.

Anyway...

Bad story time...

Went in there looking for Etymotics earplugs. Guy looked at me like I had a hand growing out of my head. They're made a town over in Evanston(I live in Arlington Heights IL when I'm not at school) and I just wanted the non-custom ones and figured they'd have them. He handed me some shitty Hearos. He's lucky I was in a hurry.

Hearos does not sound like Etymotics. I took them and ran and apparently paid like 15 bucks for them. Never again am I shopping there when I'm in a hurry or I'm just going to get screwed royally.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:34 am

Hey, man, I grew up in Arlington Heights. IMHO the Sam Ash up by Buffalo Grove HS is cooler than the GC on south Arl. Hts. Road, though they do have similar douchebaggery (the polymer-coated guitar string story a few posts up? same thing happened to me at the Sam Ash). It's a pity El Rey got so crappy, that was a great store.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

chovie d
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by chovie d » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:46 am

I must be pretty cool and special because i got a postcard from GC saying I was on their "list" and I could come in for special deals. 8)
god am I cool!!!!!! make way...rock star coming thru!
me make purty musick!

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:07 am

I know that some other folks on here have used this ebay store for purchases:
http://myworld.ebay.com/studiodeals/

I just bought two AT4050 mics new with warranty for $760 shipped. That's $760 total for two. So maybe this is the only way to deal with Guitar Center? A back door.

I'll let you know when they arrive and they're Behringers. :shock:

Anyone want to buy an AKG 414 B/ULS for a decent price? PM me!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:07 am

pfffffffft. IIIII get postcards signed by my salesdude saying thanks and offering me a free (shitty) guitar cable or a pair of (balsawood) drumsticks with my next purchase (over $10). so chovie, go get me a latte and tune my drums already. :D

i should say that the guys i've dealt with in drums have always been fine, not overly douchey and they don't try and sell me shit i don't need. and there's one guy in proaudio who is nice....i felt bad for him when i had to return the $$$$ sontec eq i got there, i dunno how it works with their commisions when something gets returned...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:10 am

ipress, you got a deal! i paid $600 for ONE 4050 ten years ago. damn. i guess i should make you a latte now.