Epiphone Elitist / other LP type guitars

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Epiphone Elitist / other LP type guitars

Post by inverseroom » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:52 pm

I've got a Les Paul jones and am selling some stuff I don't use so I can afford one. I have my eye on the Goldtop reissue that Epi puts out under the MIJ Elitist line. Reviews of these are great, but I wonder if anyone can offer up some firsthand accounts.

Gibson LP's are so goddam expensive...every time I see a guitar that looks nice it's like three grand. And nobody near where I live is a dealer, so I'm probably going to have to do this online...Sweetwater god forbid...

Your thoughts on LPs or LP-style axes? And BTW I did search for this and know it's been discussed before...but I'd love some updated experiences.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:11 pm

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Elitist that I really love and my guitar repair guy (who set it up) absolutely loves. You can get them for really cheap and they blow away regular Epis and a lot of Gibsons.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Look for the Tokai Love Rock

There are usually a bunch on e-Bay.

That guy Billy Gibbons uses one sometimes.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:39 pm

I have a Korean made Tokai 335 style that I really like and would buy a Japanese Love Rock (the les paul model) in a second. I am a lefty so they do not come up as much, but the righties seem to be out there. The Japanese Epi's are probably nice, but Tokai's have a nice vibe and the right headstock. Could also add Orville's to the list. I believe these are Japan only and Gibson authorized.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:40 pm

I totally would love a Love Rock...but how do you return something shipped from Japan? I'm more inclined to go the Elitist route, if they're nice...which so far it sounds like they are :D

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:43 pm

I got a couple of 'em from a dealer in Toronto.
Go Canada.

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:44 pm

If you do succumb to real-LP-itis (and you probably will, I did (but then recovered)), both of these stores:

http://wildwoodguitars.com/
http://www.willcuttguitars.com/

are very reliable, and will discuss particular guitars in depth, play them over the phone, and have good return policies.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:02 pm

roscoenyc wrote:I got a couple of 'em from a dealer in Toronto.
Go Canada.
Looks like they are no longer available anywhere in North America new...

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:09 pm

inverseroom wrote:
roscoenyc wrote:I got a couple of 'em from a dealer in Toronto.
Go Canada.
Looks like they are no longer available anywhere in North America new...
Drat!

TheShaggyFox
audio school graduate

Post by TheShaggyFox » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:49 pm

I don't know about the LP but my Epi Elitist SG is my pride and joy that everyone loves as well, including Mr. J Robbins himself! 8)

A-Barr
tinnitus

Re: Epiphone Elitist / other LP type guitars

Post by A-Barr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:23 pm

inverseroom wrote:I've got a Les Paul jones and am selling some stuff I don't use so I can afford one. I have my eye on the Goldtop reissue that Epi puts out under the MIJ Elitist line. Reviews of these are great, but I wonder if anyone can offer up some firsthand accounts.

Gibson LP's are so goddam expensive...every time I see a guitar that looks nice it's like three grand. And nobody near where I live is a dealer, so I'm probably going to have to do this online...Sweetwater god forbid...

Your thoughts on LPs or LP-style axes? And BTW I did search for this and know it's been discussed before...but I'd love some updated experiences.
Something to consider... neck-repaired LP's:

I's pretty common for an LP to snap at the headstock, but a good repair will be rock-solid and wipe that collector's price right off the instrument. I purchased a '74 Custom for $800 8 years ago and it has given me no grief and sounds and plays as good as any - really an awesome guitar actually. Whether you want a mint non-gibson guitar or a Gibby with a repair is a personal choice, fwiw, I'm happy with the route I took, but they didn't have Elitists back then either..

Blade
takin' a dinner break

Post by Blade » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:36 am

I have a Epi LP Custom SG with gold hardware....3 humbuckers and it is GREAT!

If Epiphone guitars were good enough for The Beatles, then they are good enough for me!

I also own an early seventies Epi acoustic. Everyone that comes to the studio wonders how I'm so lucky at getting great guitars so cheap!

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:11 am

The only thing, cosmetically, I don't like about the Elitists is the tuners. I really love the big old ivory colored ones on most LP's. I could easily swap those out, though...right now I think this is the most likely route

I am seriously considering going ahead and getting a new Love Rock from Japan on eBay, though, risk be damned.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:53 am

Last year I got a Westone "Standard" guitar from the 80's. Two DiMarzio humbuckers, very gibsonesque setup. Shaped like an LP with a top cutout, brown stain. I played a bunch of used Epi's that day too, and for me the Westone played and sounded better all around. Better than an Epi with upgraded pickups. If you see one, check it out.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:02 am

I just want to say that the standard Korean Epi Les Pauls and the Japanese Epi Les Paul Elitist guitars are totally different animals.

Inverse, someone makes locking tuners with the traditional Ivory look. Should be easy to get that switched out. I will say, though, that the Grover tuners on both my Sheraton and my Elitist Les Paul are great. The problem that I had with both of these guitars was the fact that I like thick strings on Gibson scale-length guitars, and I had to open up the nut a little and and use some graphite on it to keep the D-G-B strings in tune after Jeff Beck-like bends.

Oh, and the pickups in the Elitist are great.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord