Sennheiser

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Zachzaba
gimme a little kick & snare

Sennheiser

Post by Zachzaba » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:42 pm

I've been looking to try a new mic for my toms and was looking into the E904 or the E905. I see that the 905 is intended more for the snare and the E904 is a general purpose. Most likely it will remain on the tom or floor tom...I don't plan on using it for the snare.

Is this the general logic to them or do I have their specialties switched?
Thanks

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:47 pm

if you're not set on sennheiser, check out the audix D-series. I bought a couple of audix D2s last January and I love them. For toms, they are basically a fire and forget mic... take some time to get a good placement for the amount of stick attack and such and then when mix time comes around, i find i rarely need to mess with eq to get a good full tom sound.

and yeah... i know... this doesn;t even come close to being an answer to your question. but they're pretty awesome.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

Mane1234
re-cappin' neve

Post by Mane1234 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:00 pm

I guess the answer to your original question is yes...They try to make mics with some specific applications in mind so if that is what they're suggesting then that's probably a good starting point. I never really cared for the 504 or 604 or whatever it is now days although I love those 602's on toms.

+1 for the Audix D series....I just bought a D1 and a D4 to round out the collection of 3 D2's ...2 D3's and a D6...and the i5 which I used on guitar the other day....Sounded great...I really like Audix and they have great customer service.
Of course I've had it in the ear before.....

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:52 pm

the audix reps love to demonstrate the hardiness of their mics by bouncing them off their windscreens... it's pretty impressive. i hear the i5 is a pretty awesome alternative for a 57.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:05 pm

If you really want to go all out on the drum mics...which I do...love to have choices. Get enough Oktava 012's to cover all toms. They're great if you want a little more hi-fi sound. I still though reach for dynamics with drums. RE20 on kick, MD421 on toms and a 57 or beyer 201 on snare. Beyer M88's also sound great on floor toms and kick...I just only have one and always use two floor toms so I don't use them much for that.

Variety is best....I don't own any audix mics and need to start getting a few.

m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher