Looking4 turntable preamp for vinyl digitizing/restore work

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Fac06
alignin' 24-trk

Looking4 turntable preamp for vinyl digitizing/restore work

Post by Fac06 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:52 am

I am looking for help in getting a new preamp for my turntable to do some vinyl restoration/digitizing work. What are the options for the best sounding units availible that are a decent price? Am willing to pay a little more for highest quality.

Thanks

Fact01
"Let them be clay that in his hands he might mould them"
Walter Paisley

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:27 am

I've got a nice turntable rig and have owned a few phono stages. I ultimately sold a more expensive pieces to go with a Monolithic Sound PS-2, a slightly unknown smaller manufacturer that specializes in reasonably priced (relative term I know) audiophile gear. Probably worth getting the outboard power supply, but this does add quite a bit to the price - it was, like, half the price of the phono stage itself as I recall. You could scope out Audiogon to find a used one, which would definitely get you bang for the buck. Outside of that, there are a few "usual suspects" for good phono stages (Creek, Rega, Music Hall...a few others) with realistic price tags. I tried the Rega, and the Monolithic was a fair amount better IMHO. Of course, if you're looking to spend a lot of money, that's a whole 'nother thing, and you can just go out an pick up an Aesthetix, Pass Labs or one of those upper end E.A.R. or Manley phono stages. 8)

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:53 pm

Go to the Needle Doctor in Dinkytown. They're great, and they only do turntables.

http://www.needledoctor.com/

TOLL FREE ORDER LINE : 1.800.229.0644
PHONE : 612.378.0543
FAX : 612.378.9024

SHIPPING ADDRESS :
NEEDLE DOCTOR
419 14th Av. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
U.S.A.

chetatkinsdiet
buyin' a studio

Post by chetatkinsdiet » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:06 pm

I have a NAD preamp that is switchable for either MM or MC turntables. That might or might not be important to you, but if you ever wanted to be able to work with any hi-fi turntable, this would be a big plus. I'd let it go for $100. If you're not familiar with NAD, they're a high end European manufacturer of stereo components. Let me know and I can send more pics or details.

m
The only true great mic on this planet is the Shure SM-57. It is the most consistant in not totally sucking of anything ever built. All other mics are "application dependant".

-- Fletcher

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:39 pm

kayagum wrote:Go to the Needle Doctor in Dinkytown. They're great, and they only do turntables.

http://www.needledoctor.com/

TOLL FREE ORDER LINE : 1.800.229.0644
PHONE : 612.378.0543
FAX : 612.378.9024

SHIPPING ADDRESS :
NEEDLE DOCTOR
419 14th Av. SE
Minneapolis, MN 55414
U.S.A.
Needle Doctor is definitely a cool place. LP Gear is another online spot that is a great resource - http://www.lpgear.com

Also - you can sometimes find very good deals on used high end turntables & phono pres at http://www.audiogon.com

As far as phono preamps go - I am loving my Simaudio Moon LP5.3 (which has the advantage for studios of having balanced outs on XLR along with the usual phono outs, along with a number of adjustable settings that allow it to work well with a number of different cartridge types).

Best regards.
Steve Berson