Tascam DM 4800/ x 48 combo

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Fieryjack
steve albini likes it

Tascam DM 4800/ x 48 combo

Post by Fieryjack » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:26 pm

In my quest for a non-Pro Tools set up, I am considering this interesting combo. Can anyone provide feedback/insight?

Quite frankly I feel the ROOM is going to influence the sound of my tracks more than any Neve, or other preamp combo so that's where I'm putting my $ at least initially

Any thoughts on this mixer/recorder combo?

Thanks

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:35 am

It interfaces perfectly together. Plus, the X48 has a complete mix engine with VST compatibility. I've been messing with the board at work and it has a lot of great features. The channel strip control in the center is really what makes it worth while.

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:58 am

Quite frankly I feel the ROOM is going to influence the sound of my tracks more than any Neve, or other preamp combo so that's where I'm putting my $ at least initially
I tracked and mixed on a digital board for years and after switching over to a quality analog console I cannot express how much better everything sounds. Granted, my digi desk was not the greatest (B-word DDX3216) but it sounded every bit as good as my friends Tascam DM3200. The switch to a big honking analog desk made a huge sonic difference. My new (old) console is not a Neve so I can imagine what a difference that jump would have made.

The room stayed the same.....
The engineer and mic techniques stayed the same.....

Everything sounds better!

Using and analog desk does have some drawbacks though..

1. You need outboard especially if you are not using Pro-Tools. I am using a mix of plug-ins and hardware with good results but if you are using a hardware based digital recorder (without the options of plugs) than you will need to invest in some serious outboard.

2. If you buy an older console there will be maintenance issues.

3. You will need an assload of cables. Hooking my digi mixer up to the computer took four optical cables. Hooking my analog desk to the converters to the interface and back out again is a cable nightmare.

The Tascam boards are good. They are packed with features and very clean sounding but don't discount what a nice analog console can do for your sound. Also, one of the big features of digital consoles is the built in dynamics and effects and on the DM3200 these were not at all exciting. The dynamics sounded very grainy (same on the DDX3216). The Tascam had better sounding reverbs but still not all that great. For me there is no comparison between the sonics. The new Cadac just sounds bigger, better and fuller.

I am not familiar with the recorder but I am familiar with Radar systems and they sound very good and are pretty respected so that might be another option. The Tascam will connect pretty seamlessly with that x48 so that is a plus.

Spending loot on your room is certainly a good idea. I am in a commercial rental property (funky) and as much as I would like to fix it up I am waiting and saving. Next year I hope to buy a property and really sink some money into the room.

Good luck! That Tascam combo should make a great set-up but don't discount the sound of analog.....especially Neve

amos
Good Luck At Any Cost

pandemic
pushin' record

Post by pandemic » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:11 am

OK, The X 48 looks badass... The idea of not using Pro-Tools but still being able to use plugs, edit easily, and not have to dick with a computer daily.....I love it.

I use Pro-Tools like a big tape machine anyway..

Hmmmmmm........

I had tried an alesis 24 track hard disk recorder and was not impressed....I love Radar but I also love (need :? ) plug-ins...

Hmmmmmmmm........
Good Luck At Any Cost