Lawson L47 FET opinions, etc.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CharlesM
alignin' 24-trk

Lawson L47 FET opinions, etc.

Post by CharlesM » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:54 pm

A couple of questions:

1. What are the general differences in sonic characteristics (in terms of frequencies and detail) that one would expect to hear between a Lawson L47 FET and, say, an early-'70s U87?

2. If you HAD to choose between these two mics for all-around use, which would you choose and why?

Thanks a lot,
Charles

CharlesM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by CharlesM » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:21 am

Bump

Anyone have any info. to share?

Frost
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Frost » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:10 am

Well, I have them both- tho my lawson fet is an original large body l47 fet. The U87 is thicker but at the expense of clarity. It also may have a bit of honk that you might hate. It is also 35 years old and prone to the problems of a 35 year old mic. It may be an amazing money mic for you. Preamps will matter tho not as much as with the lawson, this can be good or bad.

The Lawson, is a better all arounder, good for electric, acoustic, piano, drum oh and certianly vocals. It is easy to get it to sit in a mix and matches a lot of singers when paired with the right preamp. My manley or telefunken sound great with it on vocals, my hardy mates well for acoustic instruments, my api perfect for drums and electrics. I own two of these and they are really great all around mics. Not perfect for everyones voice and you really have to work mic position to get the perfect thick old neumann sound. However, you can do so and its good for so many other things, I would buy another on.

Frost

orchard
audio school graduate

Post by orchard » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:28 pm

The bloke who tracked Ceelo's vocals on the Gnarls Barkley record uses the Lawson mics and swears by them... I've got an interview somewhere I'll try and find it:)

O
got head rash from old 456