Time waster/Golden oppurtinity

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Time waster/Golden oppurtinity

Post by 0-it-hz » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:00 pm

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/428627918.html

Who's ready? This is a VCA console...sound good or sound bad?

Anybody know where to get a schematic to wire up a new PS?
Everything louder than everything else.

djimbe
tinnitus

Post by djimbe » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:51 am

Wow. Very cheap, even without the power supplies. Two big (5U or 6U) PS units for that thing...several different voltages. That could be a real nice board or it could be crapped up. There's some special options there, like the full auto fader design, the extra Wild Faders under the 'bay, and also I see some strip in there that might be part of the broadcast option. It also has the factory installed mic patching option which was not on every 636 (and is VERY handy in today's studio environment). And VU's...I like a VU. No cables though. A guy could go broke buying Tuchels for it.

I have one. I like it. You can switch the VCA's out of the returns, but then you gotta mix with the rotary channel faders (the VCA is a dbx and it's on the linear fader card). I don't like doing that. They're part of the sound that thing delivers, and I don't find them objectionable.

I'm sure I have PS docs, but if you're serious about that I'd look into getting a real MCI pair.
I thought this club was for musicians. Who let the drummer in here??

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:42 am

My prediction is that it'd take at LEAST 5x the asking price to make this thing 100% operational... no thanks!

You'd make more $$$ buying it and parting it out! Heck, I might even do that! 8)
Let me mix your music!
http://www.sfrecording.com

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:31 pm

yep... I'm taking 18 units right now so I think I'll pass....

but really, what a fun project...
Everything louder than everything else.

brianroth
tinnitus

Post by brianroth » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:05 am

Good grief...HOW THE HELL DO PEOPLE LOSE THE POWER SUPPLIES FOR A DESK? <g>

Seriously, this seems to be happening a LOT recently in my world/internet readings.

I first encountered this "issue" maybe 15-20 years ago, but in that situation, the PSU for a large-ish live/FOH Audioarts desk had been literally been stolen by a thief. The PSU was in a roll-around rack with some power amps, etc., and that rack disappeared after a break-in at a tavern. I sussed-out the voltages/currents and connectors for the stolen PSU, and built up a new one with Power-One "open frame linear" modules. AFAIK, that Audioarts desk (and my "custom" PSU) is still in action at a beer (or titty <g>) bar ....somewhere...

The PSUs for an MCI 600 desk are somewhat more complex. There were two chassis boxes, one for the analog section and the other for the automation.

At $1750, that WOULD be a very decent "organ doner" for another 600 desk. Nope, an MCI 600 ain't a Class-A Neve, but it *IS* an under-appreciated desk...like all MCI desks.

Bri (who spent thousands of hours in the early 1980's sitting at the controls of a 600, cutting jingles, etc..as well as servicing and modding the desk..I hate to see the 600 desks "parted-out")
Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
http://www.brianroth.com/