Transferring Old Cassettes Into Computer

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Transferring Old Cassettes Into Computer

Post by Catoogie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:13 pm

Ok, here's the deal. I've been trasferring a bunch of old cassettes into my computer so I can burn CD's and archive on DVD. I have Pro Tools and had been opening a new session for each cassette, creating a stereo track for each song and after recording into Pro Tools, bouncing to disk for each song (I was temporarily deleting every song except the one I was currently bouncing to disc) I KNOW I KNOW, this is probably much more work than I need to do.........and that's why I'm hearing hoing someone can either suggest a new way to work ro say somehting that will spark my thought process.

As I said I have Pro Tools but would just using Audacity be better and less time consuming?

HELP!!!

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:03 pm

Record the cassette, deleate the unwanted space between each song thus creating a new region for each song. Highlight a region and then hit comand, shift and K to export region. Pick a place to put it and you're done.

Catoogie
buyin' a studio

Post by Catoogie » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:55 pm

So when I export that region and pick a place for it to go, what kind of file will it be? Obviously I've never done it before.

Thanks!!

Phil Owl
takin' a dinner break

Post by Phil Owl » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:13 pm

Catoogie wrote:So when I export that region and pick a place for it to go, what kind of file will it be? Obviously I've never done it before.

Thanks!!
Your recording program at the very least should allow you to export it as a .wav or mp3 file, best ot do it in .wav, better quality.

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:10 pm

junkshop wrote:Record the cassette, delete the unwanted space between each song thus creating a new region for each song. Highlight a region and then hit command, shift and K to export region. Pick a place to put it and you're done.
Jeez! I didn't know you could do that!?! The things you learn here... That's gunna save me lots o'time, and let me do stuff I didn't think I could in good 'ol 'tools...

objective
pluggin' in mics

Post by objective » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:48 pm

I was just about to start this thread. Excellent.