NS-10m monitors and the amps that power them

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

linus
re-cappin' neve

Post by linus » Mon May 12, 2008 12:26 pm

Your receiver will be fine. The only difference between a receiver and an integrated amp is a receiver has a built in tuner.

If it's been well cared for, is in good condition, and is the appropriate power rating you'll be fine.

I use a Proton integrated amp that does 35 watts a side but has some built-in weird capacitor bank that claims it can put out 200+ watts for transients. It sounds good and it's never caused me any trouble.
Check out my website for cool songs recorded and played by me with Steve Goulding of the Mekons on drums. Drums were recorded by our own Joel H at Studio G.
www.linusNYC.com

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon May 12, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks for the affirmative. Like I said, things have been working well with the Pioneer. I plan on purchasing a second Hafler Trans Nova at some point as $200-$275 is probably what the repair bill will be for my busted one. I can always use it for parts. And since I am in the process of looking for and purchasing a house, I can't drop the money now, so the Pioneer is working for me.

Jeff

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Just chiming in now that I have it sorted out...

Post by knobtwirler » Tue May 20, 2008 7:48 pm

So, got a Bryston 3b to power my NS-10M monitors. I absolutely love them and am listening to all my records with them.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed May 21, 2008 8:39 am

How much did you pay for the Bryston 3b?

knobtwirler
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by knobtwirler » Wed May 21, 2008 3:41 pm

I probably could have held out and found a cheaper one, but it was $500. The good part is it isn't banged up or scratched at all.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:20 pm

Just following this up tonight regarding the Hafler Trans Nova. I fixed mine. I kind of feel stupid about it, as it was as simple as opening it up, clearing out approximately 2 lbs of dust, and spending $10 on contact cleaner and seriously giving the pots a workout. I'm happy to report that after spending an hour or so cleaning all of the shit out of this amp, it works perfectly. And it sounds great. I'm really glad to retire the Pioneer, though it sounds great for what it is. The difference in clarity using the Trans Nova is night and day, though. Looking forward to mixing a record with this set up.

Jeff

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:55 am

That Pioneer you are using, I have one and tried it out too, is a very smeary sounding amp. An integrated amp takes much better care of the internal workings of switches and better design, one of those should sound a whole lot better, even a Pioneer integrated will sound much better than a Pioneer reciever. Plus, that thing is just too old to have decent parts still functioning properly. Mine is now the "shop amp".
I'm using a Crown XTi 1000 now with no dsp involved. Lightweight, 200per, digital switching, clear as a bell, sonically ate my pioneer for lunch. Loads of power.

I used to use my furman ha6's speaker driver. Hey it worked for a while. Did fine on location things. Still got it. Still works. 1 rack space.

I've been toying with the idea of taing my BX5's amps out and putting them in the NS-10's.
If you're in the studio, I'd go for the crown xti, on ebay.
275W 8 ohm Stereo per channel
500W 4 ohm Stereo per channel
700W 2 ohm Stereo per channel
http://cgi.ebay.com/Crown-XTi-1000-Powe ... dZViewItem
Harumph!

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:07 pm

Brian wrote:Plus, that thing is just too old to have decent parts still functioning properly.
**pets his marantz 1060 from 1972**
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:18 am

Brian wrote:That Pioneer you are using, I have one and tried it out too, is a very smeary sounding amp...
I agree, however, it was all I had to work with until this week. And I know what records sound like through it. It sounds good, though yes, 32 yrs old and in need of a cap-job, etc. It was professionally cleaned right before I picked it up, though.

The Hafler Trans Nova sounds fantastic. Hope it remains in working order for me.

Jeff

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:39 pm

ipressrecord wrote:
Brian wrote:That Pioneer you are using, I have one and tried it out too, is a very smeary sounding amp...
I agree, however, it was all I had to work with until this week. And I know what records sound like through it. It sounds good, though yes, 32 yrs old and in need of a cap-job, etc. It was professionally cleaned right before I picked it up, though.

The Hafler Trans Nova sounds fantastic. Hope it remains in working order for me.

Jeff
Yeah the transnova is suposed to have a faster slew rate than a standard FET amp.
I wanted one of those when they came out. I had a Hafler back then, fine amp, but, didn't like it, opted for a DC300. Better sound. When I moved to Memphis I used the pioneer for a while too. Hey, once yu get used to anything it's workable. Transnova, it just sounds good to say it.
Harumph!

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:24 am

Mixed four songs last night and the Hafler is the shit. Seriously. Totally happy with my monitoring setup now. Maybe down the line I'll pick up a set of big powered monitors for more extended low end, however, between the Yamaha NS-10Ms and the Yamaha NS-6490 stereo speakers I feel like I'm getting a really nice idea of the low end. I am running both off of the Hafler.

Mixing is so much easier than when I was using the Alesis M1 Active Mk2s.

Jeff