NS-10m monitors and the amps that power them

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

NS-10m monitors and the amps that power them

Post by Jeff White » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:31 am

I know that this is the place to ask about NS-10m stuff.

I snagged a set last night off of ebay for $306 + ship. I have about three yrs experience with NS-10m monitors, and say what you want, love 'em or hate 'em, I like to mix on them. I used them at school in the 1990s, at friends' places now and then, etc.

So, my question is, what power amp should I pair these with? Can I use a vintage 1970s Pioneer Receiver for a while? Should I look at audiophile hi-fi power amps or pro audio types?

Also, how difficult is it to put a fuse before the tweeters and how will this mess with the sounds?

Thanks!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:16 am

Great deal. You will do your best on these.

We had a Hafler Pro 5000 and a Studer A? series amp for our monitors and invariably, the Studer was always used on the NS10s. Sounded great. The only other studio in Los Angeles that I knew of using the same amp on them was the old A & M.

scott anthony
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by scott anthony » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:24 am

If you've got a Bryston laying about... ;)

You can use the Rat Shack in-line fuse holders (never liked the sound, but good for visitors, or basics getting drum sounds) on the red going into the speaker. That way you can change your mind easily. 1 amp fast-blo is very conservative, 1.5 amp is more typical. 2 amp will be better than none if you keep blowing them. Any higher is a waste of time...

crow
steve albini likes it

Post by crow » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:59 am

a friend recommended the yamaha p2100 (he said it was designed in conjunction with the ns10s or something to that effect) to me, and i just got one off of ebay for cheap. it just arrived, but i'll post back tonight when i've got it hooked up. currently, i'm using a mcintosh 2100 (solid-state), and though the mcintosh sounds great with other speakers, it hasn't quite gelled with the ns10s for me.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:18 am

scott anthony wrote:If you've got a Bryston laying about... ;)

You can use the Rat Shack in-line fuse holders (never liked the sound, but good for visitors, or basics getting drum sounds) on the red going into the speaker. That way you can change your mind easily. 1 amp fast-blo is very conservative, 1.5 amp is more typical. 2 amp will be better than none if you keep blowing them. Any higher is a waste of time...
So placing a fuse in there definitely messes with the sound of these things? Is it a phase issue between positive and negative or something? I definitely don't want to mess with the sound. Maybe I should just buy a pair of tweeters in the next month or two as a back up plan instead of the fuse thing?
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:02 pm

A company called "chord" makes some amazing amps. some of the best sounding NS10 setups have used that. I dont use that. I have a big hafler thingy that I like.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:44 pm

Hey Joel, can you post the Hafler power amp's model?

For some reason I think that my school's NS-10m power amp was a Symetrix, and those monitors went through like 12 dozen sets of tweeters while I was there. I want to make sure that I don't duplicate that experience.

Thanks,

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff White on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:53 pm

Another option is to go with an integrated amp. One of the advantages to using an integrated is that it has a volume control that you can set so that you will never exceed a preset maximum loudness. Compared to a receiver an integrated will be built to a higher standard, will be able to better handle difficult speaker loads, and will have more headroom.

Integrated amps by Onkyo, Denon, Hafler, NAD, Marantz, and vintage integrated amps by the likes of Pioneer and Kenwood will all work fine. Some people claim that they can hear dramatic differences in amplifiers but I'm skeptical. I've got a 300 watt Krell in my main stereo system and I've compared it with an Adcom GFA 555 and one of my Onkyo Integrated amps and I can tell you that it would be hard to describe the difference as dramatic. Years ago the audiophile community did some A/B/X tests of amplifiers and the golden ears were horribly embarrassed by their inability to reliably tell the difference between different brands and models.

Speaking of Adcom, if you want to go with a straight stereo amplifier Adcom is probably the best value. You can find Adcoms used on ebay frequently and they perform exceptionally well. If you go with a GFA 555 or GFA 545 you will have enough power to make your ears bleed.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:06 pm

Integrated Amp... YES! I have powered monitors that I have been using for the past 5 yrs that have a volume control and I have them at half, which is plenty loud enough.

Ok, so, we're talking a hi-fi power amp (integrated amp) instead of a "pro audio" amp. Why won't my 1976 Pioneer SX-650 receiver work for NS-10 duty? It sounds great and has two sets of speaker connects. I have a pair of Yamaha NS-6490s hooked up to it already, and it is hooked up to analog out 7-8 of my BLA 828mk2. So right now I have two sets of monitors that I can switch through software in the Mac for monitoring in Digital Performer. Is this power too colored for the NS-10s?

Jeff

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:08 pm

Well, I guess that I am total asshole now, because I just bought a second pair of NS-10ms for $138 shipped. No woofers, but the tweeters are guaranteed from the seller to be 100% and I also get an extra set of cabinets out of the deal. Always have a backup plan I say.

*boxes up Alesis M1 Active MK2s*

So, yeah, integrated amps. Need to get on this.

Jeff

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: NS-10m monitors and the amps that power them

Post by Andy Peters » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:14 pm

ipressrecord wrote:So, my question is, what power amp should I pair these with? Can I use a vintage 1970s Pioneer Receiver for a while? Should I look at audiophile hi-fi power amps or pro audio types?
Back before I sold 'em to Rob at Water Music in Hoboken, I powered my NS10s with a McIntosh 2100. I still have the amp, though it has sat in a closet since I bought my Genelec 1031As in 1996.

It's for sale, if anyone is interested.

-a

(Note: the site to which I linked does NOT show a picture of my amp.)
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

8th_note
buyin' gear

Post by 8th_note » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:42 pm

Ok, so, we're talking a hi-fi power amp (integrated amp) instead of a "pro audio" amp. Why won't my 1976 Pioneer SX-650 receiver work for NS-10 duty? It sounds great and has two sets of speaker connects. I have a pair of Yamaha NS-6490s hooked up to it already, and it is hooked up to analog out 7-8 of my BLA 828mk2. So right now I have two sets of monitors that I can switch through software in the Mac for monitoring in Digital Performer. Is this power too colored for the NS-10s?
Assuming that it is in good conditiion your Pioneer receiver will work fine. I had a Pioneer of roughly that vintage and it sounded great. I wish I still owned it. You just about had to have a forklift to pick up those old receivers and that is an indication of their build quality. There's a reason why they sell for ridiculous prices on ebay.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:01 am

This thing is built like a tank, and I paid less than $30 for it.

I also will be picking up a vintage Sansui for $25 soon, as I have a friend who likes to share the wealth.

I have a friend who has been powering his NS-10s with a receiver for quite a while, but I can't a/b that setup with anything else. They sound fine to me.

Jeff

dokushoka
buyin' a studio

Post by dokushoka » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:32 pm

The Adcom GFA 535, 545 or 555 would all make EXCELLENT choices and are quite affordable.
Let me mix your music!
http://www.sfrecording.com

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:14 pm

After seeing the NS-10m's tweeters fry out on more than one occasion, I want to make sure that I do not send too much power to them. I notice that the ratings for each of the Adcoms are much different: 535 (60 watt per channel), 545 (100 watts into 8 ohms, 150 watts into 4 ohms), and 555 (200 Watts Per Channel at 8-Ohms & 325 at 4-Ohms with both channels driven).

How much power can the NS-10s handle? Are they running at 8 ohm or 4 ohm? Right now I am leaning toward the 535 power amp, though maybe the 545. Out of the three what's the best amp for the NS-10s that won't kill them. What should I watch out for regarding matching a power amp to these speakers?

Jeff