NS10 tweeter tape

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

NS10 tweeter tape

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:27 am

Has anyone else heard of putting a piece of paper over the NS10 tweeters because the high end is either too harsh and fatiguing or to get the high end a little more accurate in a mix? I heard about it somewhere, but I can't remember where and I have noticed that my mixes lately totally lack high end so I'm going to give it a shot. I feel like I've been seeing pictures of studios too that have their NS10s papered up on the tweeters.

-Ken
Current band - www.myspace.com/nickafflittomusic
My music - www.myspace.com/kenadessamusic
Recording space - www.myspace.com/twinreverbsound
HOT soul music - www.enzoandthebakers.com
Freelance drum hookups available constantly

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:00 am

I thought it was tissue over the NS10 tweeter.

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:09 am

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:13 am

Bob Hodas is one hardcore dude!

oldguitars
steve albini likes it

Re: NS10 tweeter tape

Post by oldguitars » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:27 am

kentothink wrote:... I have noticed that my mixes lately totally lack high end so I'm going to give it a shot.
Why don't you just learn what the speakers sound like and go from there? If your mixes sound to dark, then brighten them up.
Oh, excuse me! Do you mind if I date yer punkin?

LeedyGuy
tinnitus

Re: NS10 tweeter tape

Post by LeedyGuy » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:31 am

oldguitars wrote:
kentothink wrote:... I have noticed that my mixes lately totally lack high end so I'm going to give it a shot.
Why don't you just learn what the speakers sound like and go from there? If your mixes sound to dark, then brighten them up.
You are totally right, and I have been working with these things for years, but I do notice that I need frequent ear saving breaks because the highs on the tweeters are a little harsh, so if I'm trying to mix it so the highs are a little more present, then I'm definitely going to need more frequent breaks.

zesbez
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zesbez » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:47 pm

The original NS-10 had this problem. The new NS-10m Studio models or any tweeter replaced after the mid-90s should have the new design which has a lot smoother response in the mid-high frequencies.

Something else I've found is that some prefer to have the woofers in (most) but I've seen a few (Joel Hamilton is one) that place the tweeters in. For me, I find having the woofers out and the tweeters in balances the speaker a lot better. Technically, the bass from the woofer probably mask some of the extended highs but I've had no issues doing it this way.

Also make the sure they are a decent distance away from you. This will give the speaker time to spread a little before it hits your ears. Some say a soffited type mounting is the best way to listen to an NS-10.

It's probably humerous that so much discussion goes into this speaker because it's never going to sound great. That's the beauty and the curse of this infamous beast.

~

Superdan138
gettin' sounds

Post by Superdan138 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:29 pm

OK......I have never owned these, but from a reliable source. The guys at A and M now Hanson Studios in Hollywood area supposively put these child wipe like things over the tweeter and it was a secret for many years. They were a common wipe that was found at this certain store......I may be able to get an exact name if someone REALLY wants to know, but this would make them perfect for mixes with it on it.

-Dan

Colin F.
gettin' sounds

Post by Colin F. » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:36 pm

NS10m Studios are perfectly fine without any modification. If you have the non studio ones, then there is a mod you can do to the crossover which can be found by searching on Google.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:57 am

I used them at school for a long time (in conjunction with Alesis Monitor 2s) and I swear that the best mixes that I have ever done came from the combination of these two monitors (and the room control room there was untreated parallel wall shit). I just bought two pairs of NS-10Ms last week and I can't wait to get back into mixing on these. I think that the trick with NS-10Ms is to mix on them in combination with a second pair of monitors, moving back and forth between them. Better results this way for sure, provided that you realize the importance of getting things to sound right in the NS-10Ms.

For what it's worth, my friend's pair does not sound all that harsh and his are from the late 1990s.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

sonicmook56
steve albini likes it

Post by sonicmook56 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:16 pm

There are two models of HF drivers for the NS-10. The one that has a little curve is a bit more harsh and I have seen people put all kinds of shit over them.

The flat ones are a bit better.
They were a common wipe that was found at this certain store
Did Mr.Motorcycle tell you that?

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:41 pm

With some shit over the tweeters you just increase the guesswork unless you know exactly how much you are dropping the top...

I put the tweeters facing IN, and it really seems to put NS10's in focus. I dont know why, I just like them better that way. more solid center imaging and less scorch factor.

Just mix brighter. Translate.

Poppatwang
gettin' sounds

Post by Poppatwang » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:11 pm

Instead of buying a speaker that requires ass-wipe to sound acceptable. Why not buy an accurate speaker?

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:43 pm

Poppatwang wrote:Instead of buying a speaker that requires ass-wipe to sound acceptable. Why not buy an accurate speaker?
Because I am an ass-wipe, too? :shock:
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Colin F.
gettin' sounds

Post by Colin F. » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:45 pm

Poppatwang wrote:Instead of buying a speaker that requires ass-wipe to sound acceptable. Why not buy an accurate speaker?
A paper cone pushing air through a variable space is never going to be "accurate." A speaker which is much like other speakers but more detailed, however, is going to provide you with a useful reference. :wink:

If you've been around enough, you start to see that monitors don't even really matter, anyways...
Last edited by Colin F. on Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.