OPINIONS WANTED! Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Groovespace
audio school graduate

OPINIONS WANTED! Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio

Post by Groovespace » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am

I just ordered a Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio from Musician's Friend because hey are now selling for $199. I figure the software alone is worth that. I have a small home recording studio that I use to create music by myself. I lay down a drum track first, then bass and just go from there with other instruments added until I have a song. Usually no more than 8 or 10 tracks.

I have indeed read about some issues with the Omega, but I decided to get one anyway. I should have it in the studio by the weekend and I'll post a review next week perhaps.

Does anyone have any input, tips, warnings about the Lexicon Omega Desktop Recording Studio?

Thanks much..

Dino
If it grooves record it.

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Suck it, Lexicon!

Post by electrofloss » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:55 am

Anytime somebody mentions buying a Lexicon product, particularly an interface, I am compelled to tell this story:

I bought a Lexicon Core 2 interface in 2000. It worked fine and sounded good. Lexicon then proceeded to drop ALL SUPPORT FOR THIS PRODUCT in 2001. Meaning that when I wanted/needed to update my system to Windows XP from 98, I was totally screwed. No drivers were ever to be created for Windows XP. When I went totally apeshit on customer support, they said that they were very sorry but they were "getting out of the digital interface game to focus on their other products".

So how pissed off do you think I was when they came out with the Omega 3 years later? The answer is, of course, very. Very, very, very. I will never again buy any Lexicon product of any kind for the rest of my life.

I would advise against anybody else doing so. I realize it is too late for you because you already purchased the Omega, and that sucks. Maybe they won't completely abandon you like they did me.

Assholes.

electrofloss
gettin' sounds

Post by electrofloss » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:59 am

Oh, and the price drop to $199? They did the exact same thing with the Core 2. They dropped the price WAY down from what they were originally going for, presumably to clear their inventory. And then they dropped support and abandoned anybody who owned a Core 2. Nice.

Beware...

signorMars
re-cappin' neve

Post by signorMars » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:00 am

I can't speak for the customer service, but I helped a friend set up and learn how to use an Omega a year or two ago and it seems like a really nice box. The recordings he got (electronic drumset, then bass, then guitar, etc) sounded great, especially at the price point. I remember the set up being a little odd, but I think that was at least partially because he halfway set it up not knowing what he was doing and not wanting to read the manual, so I had to fix some of his set up errors and then set it up properly. But yeah... nice little interface, really clear sound.
---
ross ingram
[brainville]