Monitors ahhhhhh!!!!!!!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mcRack
alignin' 24-trk

Monitors ahhhhhh!!!!!!!

Post by mcRack » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:27 pm

You guys gotta help me out here !!!!!!
I`m looking for the best pair (honest)powered monitors i can get for 1000$.I`m really close to put my cash on the hr824s but have no clue if it`s the right choice. The thing is that i live in nomansland and i won`t be able to test them,i have to rely on the "word on mouth".
What other monitors in the 1000$ should i have a look at before i make up my mind ?
only time `ll help,it`s a pain in the ... right now but, i know i`ll get there soon enough :)

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:44 pm

Yamaha NS-10M Studios (not powered but I have big love for them)
Adam A7s.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

zesbez
alignin' 24-trk

Post by zesbez » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:36 pm

I think the Mackie's are decent but not honest. I've always found mixes done on soley 824s usually lack a little bottom and high-end sparkle and have exagerated mids. If you have something like the NS-10s to cross-reference, you'll be fine... oh, and a sub.

Get your vibe going on the 824s and work on your stereo image but fine-tweak on the 10s. Go back and forth for EQ, leaving the final judgement call to the 10s. In the states, you could pick up a pair of used 824s and NS-10s with a decent amp for $1000ish. Best of luck.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:55 pm

i was checking out the A7s at AES sunday, and i thought they sounded pretty nice (keep in mind it was a convention floor, so it was clearly not accurate). i was joking with the sales rep that you hear details that you almost don't want to, but accuracy is what you're after, so i could see them translating really well to various systems. i do a lot of acoustic music and stuff with lots of layers, so i think they'd be pretty great for that, but couldn't be sure without trying them in my room first.

-ryan
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:46 pm

I don't have a ton of experience, but mixes on NS-10's seem to translate. We use the Mackies a lot at my job and they seem to hold up and do an ok job. This is in a TV/Film enviornment. I have crosschecked some of my own mixes on them and I felt like they did a decent job, probably better than equivalent KRK's.

I will say decent monitors are one of the things that have made the biggest difference for me. I lucked into a pair of Spendors and the quality of what I'm doing has improved dramatically. At least to my ears..........

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:49 pm

A7's, Dynaudio... uh... What are they, BM5a's?
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

mcRack
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcRack » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:55 am

Thanx guys :D
I`d love to have the ns-10`s but i need some more low end detail for my
"main" speakers(I don`t like to mix with a sub). I`ll definitely get a pair of those pretty soon too,though :)
I`ll check out the dynaaudio and adam`S :D
only time `ll help,it`s a pain in the ... right now but, i know i`ll get there soon enough :)

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:57 am

My assistant is selling a pair of V88's. I think for 800 dollars. They have plenty of low end. Those things are great monitors.. they get incredibly loud and I kept hurting myself with them. ;)

You should check them out. If not, the V8's are great powered monitors as well. The V88's just have a really solid low end that is not hypey. People were always suprised how bright they were, even though they would give an extended LF picture of what was going on. Really solid.

mcRack
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mcRack » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:44 pm

joel hamilton wrote:My assistant is selling a pair of V88's. I think for 800 dollars. They have plenty of low end. Those things are great monitors.. they get incredibly loud and I kept hurting myself with them. ;)

You should check them out. If not, the V8's are great powered monitors as well. The V88's just have a really solid low end that is not hypey. People were always suprised how bright they were, even though they would give an extended LF picture of what was going on. Really solid.
OMG...! The v88 looks very interesting.Too bad the shipping overseas would cost another 800$...

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:54 pm

I picked up a pair of Event sp8's out of box at guitar center for 1k plus some change. Or you could but about 5 Pairs of Behringer Truth's :wink:
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:00 pm

I'm really happy with my event ASP8's. I think it's the best speaker they've ever made.... not that that's saying a lot...

I find them thicker, smoother and more even than the Mackie's, and they tend to help push me in the direction that I think things should go. But, that's based only on my tastes and perceptions.

You really have to go around and listen to a bunch of things. I think it helps to have a set of speakers you genuinely like the sound of, but aren't hyped. Some would suggest the opposite. Having one set of speakers I genuinely like the sound of allows me the confidence to be daring in this mix instead of second guessing my choices and fighting the curve of the monitors.

At the same time, I'm a big advocate of having at least a second, more consumer grade set of monitors. I always cross-reference on my auratones at my project studio, and when I'm working at outside studios I end up spending a LOT of time on NS-10s.

That said, you learn any set of monitors... but will you have fun while you're mixing? Go listen to some speakers and trust your gut. Whatever you end up with, chances are, they won't be your last pair.

Oh yeah: I demoed the A7's briefly, and they seemed like they could be quite useful. Give them a shot too.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

glagola1
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by glagola1 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:42 am

I got some Tannoy Reveal 8Ds about a year and a half ago and since then, my mixes always translate well. They have plenty of bottom end and basically, I've never been surprised by my mix when played on any other system. Isn't that about all you can ask for?... I mean, besides super good detail? But who listens to music in a setting that reveals detail anyway? Ipods and car stereos are where music is heard these days.

One of them just broke but I'll be replacing it with another. That sucks pretty bad.
I miss the days of Ass Engineer.

pk
buyin' gear

Post by pk » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:22 pm

In your price range I would strongly consider the Dynaudio BM5A's.

carlsaff
takin' a dinner break

Post by carlsaff » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:46 pm

PMC DB1S-A
Carl Saff Mastering
http://www.saffmastering.com

BusyBoxSt7
steve albini likes it

Post by BusyBoxSt7 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:48 pm

from what I've heard, I'd go w/ NS10s (which i own and love, I had Alesis Monitor ones before and the NS10 translation to stereos is SO much better) or the BM-5As. I've not heard the Adams but would love to hear those too.

Need bass accuracy?
have you treated your mixing room yet? I'd think NS10s in a well treated room would be much better than 824s or something else big in an untreated room. So if not, may want to just get NS10s and some mineral wool and get to work.