Seeking small mixer - computer to monitor

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

0xeneye
pushin' record

Seeking small mixer - computer to monitor

Post by 0xeneye » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:26 pm

My brother was asking me if I know of a very small 2 or 4 channel mixer to sit between his computer and some nicer powered monitors. I guess the biggest consideration is it has to be small and second it has to be cheap. Third would be sound quality. I guess a software mixer won't work for him for some reason. He edits digital film and listens to music as a hobby....Any suggestions?
0x

nystrec
gettin' sounds

Post by nystrec » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:56 pm

Just about any cheap mixer would work good for him for hobby speakers.
Last edited by nystrec on Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

madtho
steve albini likes it

Post by madtho » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:11 am

The Soundcraft Compact 4 got a favorable review in the mag, goes for about $99, but you can find it for $89. Has nice routing and supposedly decent pre's.

There's a Behringer that's really cheap, like $40 or $50. Widely available.

-mad
We wanted to play traditional jazz in the worst way...and we did!
-Dave Van Ronk

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:43 am

madtho wrote:The Soundcraft Compact 4 got a favorable review in the mag, goes for about $99, but you can find it for $89. Has nice routing and supposedly decent pre's.
Or you can go used with the previous model, the Notepad Folio. I got one for $50 on eBay recently. Haven't used it much yet, but it really is small ... and just as cute as a bug.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar

BeepBeep
takin' a dinner break

Post by BeepBeep » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:52 am

Not to Behringer bash, but I had one of there small mixers; hated it, returned it and got a Mackie. Now some would say the Mackie sucks...

b3groover
deaf.

Post by b3groover » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:53 pm

Yamaha makes some nice, inexpensive ones in the MG series. I think they are around $80.
www.organissimo.org
organissimo - Dedicated (new CD)
"This shitty room is making your next hit record, bitch!"

wedge
tinnitus

Post by wedge » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:34 pm

madtho wrote:The Soundcraft Compact 4 got a favorable review in the mag, goes for about $99, but you can find it for $89. Has nice routing and supposedly decent pre's.
I have this, and for it's price range, it has some remarkable features... I did a lot of homework, and I believe it was the only mixer in said price range that has a mono-check button. That in itself sold me. Plus, it's Soundcraft, which is known for putting good pres in even their low-end stuff.

So, less than $100, good pres, mono button, plus Neutrik connectors, a Hi-Z instrument level switch, 2 -- count 'em -- 2 headphone jacks with an Mbox-like low-latency mix control, and a switch on each stereo channel that'll create gain and eq matching for the output of a phonograph, making transferring vinyl to digital a lot easier...

The one thing I don't quite like about it is, it's so unusual, that it's kinda hard to wrap my brain around sometimes, and I had to get logancircle to come over and figure it out for me. But if you're a whiz at routing concepts, that should be no problem. It also doesn't have linear faders, but what do ya expect fer a table top?

BTW, it has 2 pres, and 2 stereo channels...

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:02 am

wrenhunter wrote:
Or you can go used with the previous model, the Notepad Folio. I got one for $50 on eBay recently. Haven't used it much yet, but it really is small ... and just as cute as a bug.
+1.

Tiny. Perfect for DAW>monitor mixing. Lotsa +4/-10 options. Allows RIAA eq'd turntable input as well. Looks less fisher-price than the Compact series. Velcro on the bottom of mine. I can stick it anywhere like an air freshener. Only downside is the awkward funky power supply that plugs in on top. Did I say "tiny"? ....Tiny.

Off topic: I am going to try using one of the Folio 12/2 rackmount jobbers for some OOB summing and also for trying to use some of my outboard on sends and such during mixdown. The latency thing has been too much of a headache and it seems like analog summing is going to be the most fluid solution for mixing plugs and hardware. Who knows how the Folio will sound but I am tired of only using my hardware on the way in or having to print things to tracks and then try to nudge back and forth only to decide I need to change some settings and do it all over again. Maybe I'll report back after it get it up and running.